Elos test kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper: I am using the Elos Ca and Alk test kits. They seem to work well and give accurate readings (when compared to Salifert I was using before). Although the resolution is not as good as Salifert for both kits.

For the Alk, each drop of regent equals 1dKH. For the Ca, each drop equals 25ppm.

I don't remember off the top of my head the resolution of the Salifert tests, but it's better than those above.

hth,
rob

I picked up the Elos Alk kit after hearing that the Salifert ones were unreliable. Turns out it shows the same results as my Salifert kit, but it's much easier to use (less steps/reagents). It's cheaper too, I believe.

I use all Elos kits Except the DKh kit which I still use Salifert for that.
I would have to say that Elos is a lot easier to use. As in the PO4 kit.

May be a little more accurate but I Don't know if that warrants the cost of the Elos kits.

I pay the extra for the ease of use and test readability (although I HATE the test tube caps, they leak all over you).

I have been using Elos kits for a while now. In my opinion, they are of a much higher quality than Salifert. I have absolutely no way of telling you which one is more accurate, but have been able to produce repeatable results with both kits. Salifert tends to have a bit higher resolution; in all honesty, I don't think it really matters. For example, Elos Ca is measured in increments of 25ppm (375, 400, 425, etc...) The color changes are rather abrupt; very little ambiguity. Lets say you add an additional drop, and the color changes at 425, you can either say your Ca is 425ppm or between 400 and 425. There are no metered syringes and no charts to look up.

I don't care for the caps that are provided, but I hear Elos may have already moved to a different type. I have every test kit they make; seems to be the only Elos products I am going to own for a while!!

roblou - Just a heads up on the Kh test from Elos. If you take 10ml of sample water every drop then becomes .5 degrees.

I'm a big fan of the Elos products. Everything that I've used thus far has been well designed and easy to use. That's why I bought one of their tanks. I'm will be using the 'Purist Line' on the new tank too.

I love the Elos test kits but I also hate the caps on the vials. For gosh sakes, help a gal out and just make it simple!!!

I've only used the Elos PO4 test but I plan to switch to their Mg test kit when I'm done with Salifert's. I like LaMotte for Alkalinity...a more reliable and accurate test than Salifert. For Ca I will either switch to LaMotte or Elos.

What are you guys using the caps for? You only have to swirl or agitate the vial lightly to stir up the tests.

I do agree with everybody though that if you were using the caps that they are almost useless.

Back