Emerald Crab and Bryopsis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My Bryopsis is in remission after dosing Kent Tech M. There are a quite a few threads about this method and it seems to have worked for alot of people.

Thanks, I am doing the TechM right now, just thought I might hit it from all angles if anyone had luck. Looks like I will keep the mithrax out of my system!

I have had conchs that will eat it regularly (I have one right now that just loves the stuff), but they are rather limited in what they can reach. If its high up on live rock they can't really get there.

I tried:
  • Blue leg hermits
  • Scarlet hermits
  • Sea hares
  • Pincushion urchin
  • Tuxedo urchin
  • Astrea snails
  • Turbo snails
  • Turban snails
  • Zebra turbo snails
  • Nerite snails
  • Cerith snails
  • Bumblebee snails
  • Trochus snails
  • Strombus snails
  • Margarita snails
  • Emerald crabs
  • Rabbitfish
  • Lettuce sea slugs

Of all of those, the only one that even touched bryopsis was the lettuce sea slug, but they didn't eat it nearly as fast as it grew, and they were easily killed by powerheads, so it was pointless with them. The only thing that worked for me is Kent's Tech M. In my opinion searching for an animal that will eat is a waste of time and money, especially given that Tech M is an easy solution that's relatively cheap (depends on size of tank) and is very safe when you raise the levels slowly (no more than 100ppm per day).

Twallace,

What level did you raise to? I am at 1650 right now and wonder if I need to go up as it might be working, but really really slow.

I've always read that 1500 is high enough. I don't know if raising it up higher will get rid of it faster. Have all your snails kicked the bucket yet?

Twallace,

What level did you raise to? I am at 1650 right now and wonder if I need to go up as it might be working, but really really slow.

I think I got mine to around 1800, but it's been a while. I believe that 1600+ is plenty to kill it. So I'd leave yours as is. Takes only a few days for it to start dying at that level.

Back