Empty Tank Weight

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

Can anyone tell me how much a glass 210 (72 x 24 x 28) gallon tank weighs when it is completely empty? I've seen calculators for the weight when a tank is full but nothing for calculating when it is empty. The glass thickness is 1/2" and I'm just looking for the tank weight (not including the stand). Any help would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get an idea on how many people I will need to move it if I end up buying it.

Its around 300lbs. Myself and two buddies just moved a 210 up two flights of stairs. We had four suction cups for moving glass and it was a breeze.

1/2" glass 6.7 lbs per sq ft
5/8" 8.4 lbs per sq ft
3/4" 10.1 lbs per sq ft

2 at 72x28
2 at 72x24
2 at 24x28

8832 sq inches or 61.33 sq feet

So if the tank was completely enclosed with a top the tank would weigh at 5/8" think around 515lbs. At 3/4" it would be around 620lbs and at 1/2" 410 lbs. That should be the MAX weight as most tanks don’t have a complete top

Its around 300lbs. Myself and two buddies just moved a 210 up two flights of stairs. We had four suction cups for moving glass and it was a breeze.

Yep, three or four guys to make it easy. Im sure two strong young energetic men could do it if necessary.

Back