Enough LED light when using a LUX meter?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myfin

myomy
QUOTE””
Product Review: Lighting for Reef Aquaria: Tips on Taking Light Measurements By Dana Riddle
'Lux' is an internationally accepted measure of light intensity. Lux meters do not 'see' blue and red light very well, and it is these wavelengths that are most responsible for promoting photosynthesis. They are designed to report light intensity to which the human eye is most sensitive (green light). Maximum lux is about 120,000 (in the tropics at noon on a cloudless day (many lux meters will report lux up to 50,000, making them adequate for many reef aquaria, but unsuitable for brightly lighted tanks and outdoor work).
To get Lux reading you need to multiply PAR by:

Sun 55.2
Incandescent lamp 49.0
Cool white 78.8
Vita-Lite 62.8
Gro-Lux 37.0
Gro-Lux Wide Spectrum 55.1
HPS 83.3
MH Lamp 74.5
LED “453nm” _____ ???

As far as PAR is concerned, I don't believe that there are "set" values for any individual coral species.
unQUOTE”””
In my greenhouse tank around noon time
With the two Ecoxtica LED Cannon pendant 100w 455nm 14“ above water level + sunlight
I’m reading 4200 LUX on the bottom (42inch water depth).
12 inch below the water surface 8000 LUX
Surface LUX reading 15000
What kind of LUX light levels are good for LPS and sps reef aquarium?
What conversion constant do I use for a LEDs? And a 455nm LED light?
I'm only reading 500-600 more LUX on the bottom of the tank, with the lights on.
The 455nm LED wavelength may not being read by the LUX meter.
Do I just need a apogee PAR meter?

Long story short, yep and then you will also need to make an adjustment on that is it doesnt have the sun setting.

Mike

Is there an apogee PAR meter I can borrow in the Seattle area? I have an oxygen meter I can loan out for an apogee meter.

In had to send mine back to its owner, but I believe the psas has one for lend?? Try getting a hold of Kraken I think he has the details.

Mojo

After almost renting a apogee mq-200 light meter, I found out that the meter is also weak in measuring the 453 nm actinic light wave as well.
OK, then just use your corals to tell you if you have enough light.

Back