equipment setup question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaTe R

i have a question

If you have a chiller and a heater and you want your water to stay a constsant 79degrees what would you set your temps to on the two to get them to most acuratly and effeciently keep the temp consistant?

info: with out the chiller running i get a temp swing of 78.8 to 81 degrees (night to end of light cycle)

If your concerned about keeping your temperature at exactly what you set it at then you mite look at getting a temperature control that is able to operate both heating a cooling. If you try and use any thermo controls that are built into the units chances are you will have them fighting with each other

like a controller? i have plans to do that eventulay but somebody out there prob runs a chiller and a heater with out a controller that has there (for example) heater set to 80 and chiller set to 79 or some kind of combo to get effecient results

I see
Well here is what you will want to consider when setting them up.
Are they digital? Or mechanical operated controls?
What is the design variables? +or- how much compared to the setting.
And are they calibrated to there settings?
What I would try is putting each system on a small tank or container so that you can accurately test each component. First set your chiller for 79 and let it run. With a digital thermometer that reads at least 10ths of a degree track the peek temp and low temp and see what its operating range is for real. You may want to put a small heat load on it some how like a light close to the water to speed up your test results a bit.
Do the same with the heater system you plane on using and get them set to a point at which at no time will the heater try to run when the cooler is running and vise versa.
This would keep you from waiting electricity and having the units fighting each other. I don’t think you will be able to keep the water at exactly 79 but + or – 2 degrees threw the day is not going to make any real difference on the system. I would try to keep it between 76 and 78. No real reason just my preference.
Erik

well i have everything hooked up on my tank now and i started at 80.1degrees lastnight when i set up the chiller and now the tank is 79.9 degrees while the chiller isnt running while set at 79, so like you said Erik i think mabey going down to a 78 degree number on the chiller might get it a bit closer.

Just be aware that the #1 failure IMO is a heater. They are the least reliable and the #1 reason to buy any controller.

You can get timers for lights and a set of switches to turn things on and off. But you Cannot beat a good Controller for keeping the temperature stable.

You don't need top of the line but just a good neptune aquacontroller jr or reefkeeper, one that measures PH is helpfull and wise but measuring ORP is not as necessary especially if you can't aford the one that has it IMO.

:)

Paul

Last edited:
thanks plack,

I check the temp again this evening it was still at 79.9 degrees so i adjusted the chiller down to 78 degrees erik we will see what happens

I agree with the controller theory i would eventually like to get one when i recoup from the latest purchases i got.

I have a pinpoint ph monitor already monitoring my tank and recently got a another ph controller with the cal reactor i got (havent set it up yet)

thanks for the info guys i will keep monitoring temp and try to get it dialed in.

I'd suggest one of these, just make sure to get the probe with heat shrink on it for salt water tanks, also get the two stage one for the chiller & one for the heaters.
http://www.rancoetc.com/

Worth every penny!

very nice controller thanks for sharing that with me scooter. i have seen these on other peoples set ups and never ran accross were they got them. thanks again:)

IMO your are asking for a disaster if you are going to keep your tank within 1 degree temp swings. Your corals will get used to that constant temp and if something happens such as a power failure and you get a temp swing then you are going to have more problems compared to corals that have been in an environment with temperature variables. I know alot of reefers with 6 degree temp swings that have beautiful tanks, I experience 6-8 degree swings quite frequently and haven't lost anything due to it. I also don't think that it would be very energy efficient if your heater is always kicking on then you chiller kicks on to cool the water that you just got done heating it doesn't make much sense to me. This is just my view of it. I have however heard good things about the Ranco controllers.

Back