Eshopps PSK 75H help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
I fired up a used one last night and its literally blowing its top. I understand that there is a break in period and micro bubbles are expected but this thing is blowing bubbles out the top and has been overflowing the collection cup for a solid 24 hours. When I cut off the air, the water level is in the neck as if the ouptut is clogged or the pump is pulling in too much water. FWIW the outflow adjustment valve is not the issue. Its not even in the "T" .

Any suggestions?

I would do a water change. May have too many nutrients in the water for it and until it is broken in, it might not be able to handle it. Thats my only thought. Other than that if it is still putting out a lot of foam, and you have the adjustment valve wide open, maybe elevate it. What is the water level requirements for it?

Come to think of it, I have that same skimmer and it is kind of sensitive.

Oh, sorry, you have the hang on one. Mine is in sump but they are probably just as sensitive to adjustments. If I tweek the adjustment tube the slightest it foams over real fast.

Last edited:
Well since its a HOB I assume that there really isn't a water level adjustment or variable factor as most tanks are going to be full near the rim.
Since the tank is near a year old and has never had a skimmer another WC might be in order. I did however just to do a 30% WC the other day.

I might try choking back the water intake to see if that helps

You don't happen to have the foam on that fits over the outlet do you?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

assuming your valve is wide open to allow for lowest level within the skimmer,
lower the water level in your tank an inch or 2 and see if that helps... bet it will.
of course maintaining the same tank water level is important if you want the skimmer to be stable.
and yes, take off the stupid clogging foam on the outlet if you have it on.
is this a new skimmer or tank??

If there is a way to raise the skimmer a bit, it should do the same thing as lowing the water level in the tank. Could you get a half inch square acrylic rod set on the tank rim under the skimmer bracket to raise it? Add another one to raise it 1". That is if you dont want to lower the water level in the tank.

Last edited:
I do, I read here in the "search" that is was an issue if it starts to plug.
I took some old hose and cut it to fit over the intake restricting the water intake lowering the level of water in the mixing chamber and neck also reducing the amount running through the skimmer as a whole. Low and behold, I cam home from dinner to a collection cup full of tea colored skimmate and very few micro bubbles in the tank. Hopefully, after a couple weeks of break in I can remove the restrictor pipes and possibly put the impellar on steriods back into it.

This thing came with two impellers. One (that was in it) is a pinwheel needle wheel combo and actuall has mesh mixed into the layers. this one fills the whole impeller chamber from side to side. Hence the impeller on steriods.

The second one I'm using now is a pinwheel that actually looks burned a bit on the edges and only fills the imellar chamber about 80%.

Does anyone know which one comes stock with the skimmer?

Sorry I missed your posts there. Raising the skimmer is a good idea. I'll just shove a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 PVC onto the rim of the tank. By restricting the water flow, Ive also reduced the airflow into the skimmer.

The tank and skimmer both aren't new but new to each other. 'm sure there's more DOC's than this little skimmer is designed for in the little tank after a year with only WC's and very rare carbon/phosban treatments

Last edited:
yeah, def try the skimmer raising/tank level lowering before you have to run it with the intake partially covered with hose,
because yeah, you lose massive power that way.
also, if its been a year of just w/c's then maybe a XL w/c w/ good live rock and detritus cleaning as well as a good strong carbon boost will help stablize the skimmer
as well as help out the tank.

Many accidentally have the outlet tube reversed 180 degrees causing this condition. Make sure the tube with the little hole is on top. (sorry, you probably have it right)

Many accidentally have the outlet tube reversed 180 degrees causing this condition. Make sure the tube with the little hole is on top. (sorry, you probably have it right)
Ya, at this point its not even installed all the way down. :p

I have owned 3 of these, on clean and dirty tanks. My first one was shipped with the T reversed so that the outlet was on the top side causing it to pump water masssively into thye collection cup. When I rotated the return 180 degrees, fixed it.

As an experiment, remove the entire T on the outlet side and see what happens.

Back