Ever have an acrylic tank leak?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I have a 100 gallon tank. The stand has molding covering the bottom inch and a half of the tank. Yesterday i noticed a little dampness in the corner of the molding. I am concerned that the tank is starting to leak from the bottom seam.

Has anyone ever had a seam leak on a commercially made tank? It is probably 10 years old.

If it is leaking, I have a serious problem. Might need an emergency tankadectomy and can't afford that one right now.

Check for leaks at all your fittings and equipment. Your tank might be off balance just a little bit and water will travel to the lowest point.

as stated above check all your bulk heads (if any) and make sure it isnt creeping over the top ( if it is you will see a line of salt creep) Just to ease your mind if a seam is leaking it isnt really the end of the world, you can fix it your self in a day.. you will need suffecient rubbermaid totes to hold your livestock for a few days...

Matt

Matts right about it being as easy fix if it does turn out to be a leaking seam, but if it comes to that be sure there is not something causing some stress, (most likely an uneven stand surface), which led to a 10 year old tank developing a leak...

I am working on it tonight. I only have one overflow with a bulk head and it may be the culprit. Hopefully it is loose. That would be the easiest solution. I will post my findings a little later, though it may take a day or two for things to dry out enough to see a difference.

Thank for checking up

JIm

Good luck Jim, I know the feeling, these things aren't cheap & right now I'm so broke & have to collect food stamps to feed the fish :)

Wow Scooty, I could front you a little fish food. No reefer should have to resort to Fish Stamps

Well, my bulkhead was tight. I'm thinking it could have gotten wet from the tank level raising due to the teeth on the overflow being a bit clogged. I cleaned them a couple of days ago. I am gonna give it another day or two before I panic tpp much. Tearing the tank down even if it can be fixed is a nightmare I don't want to do.

i hate it when things leak like the cpr i got but i am returning it.

Back