everything died, will I go through a cycle?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidl

Everything , short of a few hardy snails, died in my tank during last month's wind storms. I am slowly building it all back up and water conditions look ok, but I guess my question is since the tank has been all but empty for the last 3 weeks while I cleaned out all the dead stuff, will I see a cycle again when I add fish and some live rock?
The tank is 55g using a ETSS reef devil skimmer

I nice side affect was that all the algea is gone and my rocks look clean again..:badgrin:

-David

Calrification:

when I said empty I meant empty of livestock, not water. I did a 50% water change a few times to get the water parameters back in line.
not sure if that makes a difference in everyone's opinion, but reading my post it wasn't very clear

Last edited:
I agree...If you are basically starting from scratch then there's really no way around it. Good luck and sorry to hear about your losses:)

look at the bright side, your not the only one!
many people here lost many thousands of dollars worth of livestock due to the power outages..

Matt

At least it sounds like you have a nice skimmer to help with the cycle. I've heard good things about those and on a 55 gallon, it's probably more than enough. sorry for the loss btw..

Back