Experience with Royal-Exclusiv Red-Dragon Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I personally have never head anything but great things about them. The only bad thing I have heard of was the price.....

Yeah, the price will definitely take your breath away. And there doesn't seem to be a used market for them.

I've done some additional research (including a call to Proline Aquatics - the North American distributor for the Red Dragon pumps).

The pumps referred to in the link that braddo kindly sent, are a newer model (Red Dragon II) that have been voluntarily recalled due to a variety of mechanical and electrical problems...sounds like the problems don't appear until after 12-18 months of SW use. These are a DC controllable version.

I'm mainly interested in the AC RD models like the ones MarineDepot sells. The guy at PA swears they are dead silent...which I need if the tank is going to be in the house. :)

If I am not mistaking the RD pumps are the same as the askoll if not just a step or 2 up from the Askoll. If so the Askoll is dead silent as I have one running on my skimmer.

If I am not mistaking the RD pumps are the same as the askoll if not just a step or 2 up from the Askoll. If so the Askoll is dead silent as I have one running on my skimmer.

That's good to hear! A little searching showed the RD pumps actually use the Askoll motor block...thanks!

I think your good if the RD pump has a gen 2 impeller!

Do you know the best way to identify these? I've found write-up's that mention the "addition of an anti-lime calcium bypass to the Askoll OEM motor block", and that the RD10 and RD12 models have a titanium shaft upgrade. But nothing on the smaller models. Is the red bypass tube the best way to tell? Thanks!

Back