External skimmer conversion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I want to convert a euroreef cs8-3 to use externally on my sump. I am not totally sure how this skimmer works, so if anybody has ideas or is an owner of such skimmer, I would love to hear from you. Drawings would be great! I consider myself a DIYer and don't mind making plumbing modifications. I just don't want to reduce the skimmer's effectiveness. Thanks in advance.

Okay, thanks for all the great feedback! How about we start with how a external skimmer works. Maybe from then I can see what I need to mod. Please, someone offer some advice! HELP!

I am no euroreef expert, but I would guess it has an inlet and an outlet... You could make PVC plumbing for it without using any 90 degree elbows (those really reduce flow IMO)... Use 45 degree elbows, or flexible PVC maybe?

Here's a pic of what it looks like. I'm thinking I need to remove the foam filter covered riser tube (right side of pic) and replace that with a ball valve and bulkhead into sump. Then I need to plumb another bulkhead from the sump to the pump's intake (assuming that it's an external pump). Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• cs8-3.jpg
    cs8-3.jpg
    34.7 KB
I am not sure what pump that is, but it does not look like an external pump to me (I repeat though, I am NO expert). If it is a pump that has to be submerged, you could leave the pump in the sump and add plumbing between the pump and the skimmer... make it a nice, gentle curve so it does not reduce the flow. Or just get a bigger sump and keep the skimmer in it! :)

Back