Fans for MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

This might seem like a dumb question, but i have a pendant, for my 250 watt MH that I need to get a couple of fans for (in the pendant). What is a good fan to get? I'm nervous that the plastic looking fans that you see for computer cases and such will melt underneath the heat of the 250 watt bulb. Thank you for any help that anybody may be able to offer.

LAKHV4_1_1_240.jpg

wallgreens 10.00

:|Thanks, but I was hoping for something that will fit inside my pendant. I don't think this will work for what I'm looking for.

I am not sure the exact kind, but if you just go to radio shack and get the cooling fans. I wish i knew the exact name...i will try to find it online.

Anyways, they work great, i have 4 of them on my 240gal for about a year now and havent had to do anything.

good luck :)

-augustus

i would use 120 or 80mm fans for Pc's you can get a few Hight CFM ones off like

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=802&Nav=|c:494|&Sort=3&Recs=10

or something like that....

you could even go to a stove shop.....(i dont know if you knwo what i mean) but one of thos stores that sell like fire place's and wood stoves and stuff... they will have metel fans like that, That are for moveing air from room to room......

thos fans do good for cooling

How does everyone run power to their fans in their MH pendant? Do I need to plug the fans themselves into their own light socket or is there a way to hook them up to the retro fit MH wiring so that when the power for the MH goes on, the fans themselves will also start up? Forgive me for asking this, I'm not overly familiar in dealing with electrical setups and components.

Separate wiring, more than like the fans are going to be 12volt DC power. Of course this depends on the fans you are using. But again must PC fans are DC power.

How are people connecting computer fans to a power supply? They normally come with a molex plug for connecting to a PC power supply, which is DC, not AC like our wall outlets. I'm considering installing some in my canopy but I don't know how to power them.

How are people connecting computer fans to a power supply? They normally come with a molex plug for connecting to a PC power supply, which is DC, not AC like our wall outlets. I'm considering installing some in my canopy but I don't know how to power them.

Basicly you need a wall adapter rated at 12vdc like the one on your cell phone or home cordless phone. It will say right on it what the voltage is.
Now take a look at the fans you have. They will say what the amperage draw is.

So if your fans are 250 ma @ 12vdc and you have two fans you will need a 600 ma @ 12vdc adapter. Always go a little over the calculated amperage.

Make sense.
Don

I was just wondering the same thing about my MH. I have some Odyssea fixtures that have fans in them but they didnt last long. could I use the wiring from those to hook up to new fans??

Basicly you need a wall adapter rated at 12vdc like the one on your cell phone or home cordless phone. It will say right on it what the voltage is.
Now take a look at the fans you have. They will say what the amperage draw is.

So if your fans are 250 ma @ 12vdc and you have two fans you will need a 600 ma @ 12vdc adapter. Always go a little over the calculated amperage.

Make sense.
Don

Radio Shack sells the ac to dc converters I use one to power (2) 120 mm fans in my canopy

Back