Favite hemisphere not getting light on all sides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sharps

I have an awesome favite the size of an adult hand, the problem is that its shaped like a hemisphere. So light only really hits the front and top, but this creates a shadow. The tissue has started to recede on the side and back, I want to figure out what to do to maximize all areas of the favite, not have one part die. And i know its going to take a while for the areas without light the past 3 months to recover. I have had the favite over a year and it has started to grow new walls onto its base rock, so overall it is doing very well.

For lighting I am using a Current USA Sunpod 250w Metal halide hanging from ceiling. My tank is 50 gallons. The favite is directly underneath the light in the middle.

Im thinking so far my options are to 1. add lighting 2. add some type of reflector and make a hood for the tank 3. frag the favite and make it flatter.

Im going to post pictures to show better what i mean, but i really want to figure this one out. Thanks for any and all advice.:)

Here are the photos. The tank is definately a lot brighter but the photos allow you to see the shadow area. Also the last photo is a pick before lights on to show you my lighting setup.

favite_prob.jpg

favite_problemarea.jpg

before_lights.jpg

Last edited:
I would get a big saw and cut the receding part off and set it on a big flat rock so there is no Globe type shape..
Or put it on white sand for the reflection effect.

The surgery might be tricky because i dont want to break the new tissue the favite has started growing onto the base rock. But im thinking this will be the best solution because additional lighting will still create shadows when lit from the top. There is no way to reflect lighting onto that shadowed part?

White sand or rock would reflect it back up..
I'm sure this coral will be fine if it's growing new on to the rock.

I can see what your talking about in your signature picture Myteemouse. That is clever i never realized the sand could reflect light so nice.

Back