Fed up with skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
I have an older reef octopus and it isn't doing the job. I'm not getting hardly any skim mate and water is never clear. With that being said going to take the plunge and get a new one. Have read so much and don't know what the best way to go is. I have 125 gallon tank with a heavy bio load and a 40 gallon sump. Want to go with a good unit but don't want to take out a second mortgage either. Very frustrated! Suggestions please

The hardest thing I found about getting a new skimmer, is the foot print available in the sump/refugium. I had a sump that I used forever and was changing out skimmers. Could not find one that fit the foot print that I needed, so I got a new skimmer, and could not find a sump that fit the skimmer. I am sure if you look on here though there are alot of people getting rid of some decent skimmers

Hopefully you've worked out the issue. I recently broke in a new skimmer and was about to give up on it for not "performing" up to my expectations. My problem was that it took a few days to build up a slime coat on the inside of the skimmer before it started to produce a lot of foam. It took patience with the new skimmer, which is easier said than done sometimes!
Good luck!

thanx for the link to Greenskimmer.com that has some good looking stuff fora good price

Steve and Tammi

Dalbery has an awesome skimmer at a great price, at least he did last week, not sure if he sold it... http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56150

If you wanted to go a little cheaper, there is a guy named Zack selling an AquaC EV-120 with Mag5 on CL for 140.oo the EV series are supposed to be good, though some people dont like the injection technology .. If i had the cashola I would buy Dal's SWC Xtreme...

Ichthys

You will love it I have the same one. We came home the other day and kept thinking the dog pooped in the house but couldn't find anything. So we took out the garbage. Still smelled you would just get a good whiff every once in a while found out the collection cup was just full lol.

Brian

Back