Feedback wanted on ca reactor set-up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cmiller

chris
I’m setting up a ca reactor system and was hoping to get some feedback on the set up. Any and all feedback on the set up or answers to my questions that follow is welcomed. I consider myself relatively new to the hobby (6 years) still learning, and appreciate being able to learn from others.

Here’s the equipment:
Korallin C-1502 w eheim 1048 pump
ARM ca reactor media - coarse
JBJ dual guage regulator
American Marine Pinpoint pH controller and probe (I’ve got the calibration directions for this and feel pretty comfortable with that set up)

Here’s what the ca set up looks like:
Tubing (non c02 proof) running from sump into aqua lifter pump
Tubing (co2 proof) running out of aqua lifter into inlet of ca reactor
Tubing (co2 proof) running from the valve on top of the regulator bubble counter (is this the correct location for connecting the tubing?) going into metallic check valve on side of ca reactor, which is then fed into another bubble counter (this second bubble counter came built onto the korallin reactor) and then fed into the inlet coupling.
Outlet 1 and 2 tubing (co2 proof) running back into sump
Drip rate for Outlet 2 (the one not running out of the coupling) = 1-2 drops/min
Drip rate for Outlet 1 (the one running out of the coupling) 40 drops/min
Bubble rate on JBJ regulator = 10/min
Keep Co2 pressure between 10-15 psi
Solenoid plugged into pH pinpoint controller outlet 1
pH controller plugged into a surge protected power strip
pH probe placed in sump up stream from effluent drip

I want to be very deliberate about this process. I understand carelessness when setting up a ca reactor can be disastrous and b/c I have a lot invested in my tank, I want to avoid having my system crash. So, any advice folks can pass on to re: how to avoid pitfalls, important steps to take when breaking in a new ca reactor system, things to watch out for, etc., would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

I’ve tried to bring myself up to speed with the science behind ca reactors. Although I get lost in much of it, what I have taken away from the literature is that it is especially critical to carefully and often monitor pH, alkalinity and ca levels while one is dialing in a system.

A few specific questions I have:
1. Do I calibrate pH controller before firing up the ca reactor? How are these values for a reef system: hi = 6.60 lo 6.2?
2. Do I start testing the pH, ca, and alkalinity of the effluent as soon as it starts to drip into the sump?
3. How fast can these levels fluctuate and become dangerous with this drip rate? Days? Hours? Minutes?
4. Am I correct in understanding that I can plug in air pump (w/ an airstone going into the sump) into outlet 2 on the pinpoint controller and it will engage if pH drops too low and will the bubbles from the air stone will effectively remove excess co2 and thereby raise pH to acceptable level and automatically then shut off? Would you recommend doing this or something else?
5. Should the pressure on the co2 be kept 10-15 psi consistently?
6. Are there any special considerations, or adjust issues with using the coarse (vs. fine/regular) ca media?

To give you a sense of the livestock in the tank
3 giant clams
med Candy coral
med Torch coral
Open brain coral
Brain corcal
Plate coral
two sm-med leathers
a bunch of med colt corals
Heaps of small polyps and zoanthids and mushrooms
Condylactis anemone

Fishes:
Regal tang
Occilaris clown
Watchman gobie
6 line wrasse
Two cleaner shrimp
Long black spine urchin
A few (not as many as I need) snails and crabs

Many thanks for whatever feedback you’re able to give.
chris

I am pretty new running a CaRx (about a month now). My understanding is that testing the Ca and Alk of the effluent will not tell you much. Testing the ph of the effluent is necessary in order to make sure it is low enough to dissolve the media (between 6.0 and 7.0, and I read if you have a dual reactor that you test after the first chamber or add 0.5 if you are testing after the second chamber) but you do not want it to go so low that it turns the media to mush.

I just move my ph probe to the effluent cup once in a while to check it but otherwise the probe is in my sump and turns off the CO2 when the tank ph drops too low (Using AC3 controllor) I have been testing my Alk and Ca in the tank every other day and checking on my Mg a couple times a week. When I make adjustments on the reactor I keep them small and then test the next day to see the effect.

I have been keeping a log of every test and adjustment so that I do not have to try to remember what I did and what has changed.

Keep in mind the CaRx is only for maintaining levels and you should add supplements to get them where you want them and then work to get your reactor to maintain that level.

HTH, hopefully someone with a lot more experience will jump in and give some more help.

There are a few threads on this forum that will address how to properly setup your reactor. I too have a Korallin and it can be a bit of a pain to dial in, but is very efficient in use of CO2.

A few specific questions I have:
1. Do I calibrate pH controller before firing up the ca reactor? How are these values for a reef system: hi = 6.60 lo 6.2? Yes, and recheck/calibrate it periodically. I do mine evey 6 months or so.
2. Do I start testing the pH, ca, and alkalinity of the effluent as soon as it starts to drip into the sump?n Yes, but the reactor will take a few hours (at least) to settle in. If you want to start testing and date/time-log your results, it will help you in the long run.
3. How fast can these levels fluctuate and become dangerous with this drip rate? Days? Hours? Minutes? This varies with the effluent values, drip rate, and system size. You aren't likely with this reactor to cause a rapidly dangerous issue, but could if let go too long (weeks).
4. Am I correct in understanding that I can plug in air pump (w/ an airstone going into the sump) into outlet 2 on the pinpoint controller and it will engage if pH drops too low and will the bubbles from the air stone will effectively remove excess co2 and thereby raise pH to acceptable level and automatically then shut off? Would you recommend doing this or something else? I have found that running th eeffluent into a cup that then drips into the sump is an effective and low cost solution. Regardless of the ph reading.
5. Should the pressure on the co2 be kept 10-15 psi consistently? This will take experimentation. Mine has to be higher because of the relative elevation of the reactor vs. the sump.
6. Are there any special considerations, or adjust issues with using the coarse (vs. fine/regular) ca media? Coarse seems to flow better and bind up less, fine is more apparent in its disolution (so you know when to change it). Many people have varied "favorites"..... :)

Your post was well written and I wish you the best. D

I am pretty new running a CaRx (about a month now). My understanding is that testing the Ca and Alk of the effluent will not tell you much. Testing the ph of the effluent is necessary in order to make sure it is low enough to dissolve the media (between 6.0 and 7.0, and I read if you have a dual reactor that you test after the first chamber or add 0.5 if you are testing after the second chamber) but you do not want it to go so low that it turns the media to mush.

I just move my ph probe to the effluent cup once in a while to check it but otherwise the probe is in my sump and turns off the CO2 when the tank ph drops too low (Using AC3 controllor) I have been testing my Alk and Ca in the tank every other day and checking on my Mg a couple times a week. When I make adjustments on the reactor I keep them small and then test the next day to see the effect.

I have been keeping a log of every test and adjustment so that I do not have to try to remember what I did and what has changed.

Keep in mind the CaRx is only for maintaining levels and you should add supplements to get them where you want them and then work to get your reactor to maintain that level.

HTH, hopefully someone with a lot more experience will jump in and give some more help.

that's great idea to keep a log of readings. thanks for the input.
other than ca, i dose the system with iodide, strontium and keep my mg levels around 1700ppm. i realize this is high, but i read that keeping mg high is one way to control green hair algae. since i've kept it that high, the algae has cleared completely with no obvious negative effect to the system. any other additives you recommend?
levels in the tank seem in range and the system appears to be thriving
SG: 1.025
pH: 8.4
Alk: 228ppm
Ca: 400ppm
Phospahte levels: 0

There are a few threads on this forum that will address how to properly setup your reactor. I too have a Korallin and it can be a bit of a pain to dial in, but is very efficient in use of CO2.

thank you for the input. i am trying to wrap my head around something related to the pH controller. my understanding is that pH should be kept close to 8.4 so why would american marine suggest setting pH upper/lower limits of 6.6 - 6.2. doesn't this seems too low?

thank you for the input. i am trying to wrap my head around something related to the pH controller. my understanding is that pH should be kept close to 8.4 so why would american marine suggest setting pH upper/lower limits of 6.6 - 6.2. doesn't this seems too low?

I think the 6.6 - 6.2 is the ph of the CaRX effluent, not the tank.

pH probe placement

if could f/u with a question on placement of my pinpoint pH probe.
seems like it is best practice to place the probe in some container that sits inside the sump where the effluent drips into directly and then overflows into the sump h2o. i understand this way the probe is reading the pH essentially in the ca reactor and the controller will activate the co2 when pH is too high. how about when pH is too low? i've read that an regular air pump can be connected to the controller that will turn on and activate the air pump/airstone when pH drops. is the airstone placed in the effluent collection cup/container?

Kris- you are right on. That is the range that is most efficient for dissolving the media into solution.

I have never bothered with the airstone (k.i.s.s.- emphasis on the second S!)

Instead, running the effluent into an overflow or cup takes care of it. In addition, my water volume is such that the drops/stream really do not swing the sump ph at all.

Putting the probe into that cup should be fine (simple) :)

and the h2o from the overflow does not flow direcly into the cup and mix with the effluent, it's just the effluent being dripped into the cup. hmmm.
ok, that's simple. thanks.
c

I have never bothered with the airstone (k.i.s.s.- emphasis on the second S!)

Instead, running the effluent into an overflow or cup takes care of it. In addition, my water volume is such that the drops/stream really do not swing the sump ph at all.

Putting the probe into that cup should be fine (simple) :)

Back