Feeding a mixed reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltmaniac

I have a 90 Gal mixed reef. (Softies, FPS and SPS) I run 2) 175 14K MH, and 2) 110 VHO Atinics. I have a closed loop utilizing a oceans motion device and a blueline pump. My sump return is a Mag 7. I also have 1 Seio 820 for added flow. I think I have 2 or the 3 main requirements for keeping corals, lighting and flow. What is the best way to feed the tank. Fish bioload in my 90 consists or the following: 1) Majectic Rabbit Fish, 1) Copperband, 1) Yellow tank and 2) bangai cardinals.
Any recommendations for improving my set up or feeding the mixed bag of corals?
Thanks, Salty

In my mixed system, I make my own mush. To be honest, this pretty much hits everything (but you have to be careful not to overfeed). Throw some nori, freshly washed seafood, maybe some selcon and/or garlic, etc... (I also do mysis, cyclopeeze, the occasional phytoplankton, and formula 2) in a blender with some RO/DI water. Make the mush and freeze it. You can be creative, but make sure to wash all food with RO/DI water to remove preservatives. I feed this once a week, and just do flakes and nori every other day.

However, mush is sort of the cadillac approach (if done in moderation). Pending you have plenty of liverock, I am sure you have plenty of things floating around in the water column for coral. Having looked at tank water under a scope many times, you would be surprised at what you will find in the water column. A refugium might also get more zooplankton in the water column.

Just some thoughts, there really are many things that you could do...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Back