Feeding Anemones

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

f2titan

How do you feed Anemones?
Just leave them with good a good light source? Do they just filter the water? Can I inject him with brine shrimp in his mouth?

Chunks of silversides are best, but you could squirt food it's way. The food just needs to touch it's tentacles, it'll take care of the rest. :)

If you have adequate lighting, it won't need fed. However, you could feed it pieces of silversides, mysid shrimp, or other such foods.

My pair of clowns usually takes the first bit of food they get in their mouths and spit it into my Nem, it's amazing to watch. Usually a part of a raw uncooked shrimp.

I use one of these...
PT-CA11.jpg

to feed my rbta's with regular marine flakes. If you have other type of food maybe you can use turkey basters.

Scallops, for a dollar you can get enough fresh uncooked scallop to feed it for months. You'll have to cut it into small pieces and hand feed it but it's cheap.

I feed small pieces of silversides and uncooked shrimp that I get from the grocery store. I use tongs to place the pieces in its tentacles and it snatches it up from me and moves it to its mouth. The pieces need to be small enough to put in its mouth. I gave mine two pieces about every other week.

Take frozen brine shrimp or mysis mix it in a cup then use a turkey baster to inject it into the Anemones at the same time you can feed your fish a little treat. They dont really need fed if you have good lighting but you will have a better chance of them splitting if you do.

I have a pair of O. Clowns hosting my RBTA and still have to feed tiny chuncks of silver sides and when his tentacles start getting long. His tentacles become nice big fat bulbs right afterwards and remain that way for about a week and then he starts asking for more food.

I have several RBTAs under 10K 250w MH lighting and dont feed them..they have split twice and are the size of dinner plates.

I stopped direct feeding mine some time ago as well. Last big meal mine had was a cleaner shrimp over a year ago. :mad:
It split soon after that. Now it just gets light and whatever floats by when I feed the tank.

Back