Feeding Clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holygral

Holygral
I am putting my clam in the sump to feed with all filters /pumps off to feed (less than 2 inches) should there be any kind of pump/water movement or nothing and let the feed slowly float thru out the sump?

\Thanks

they dont need directly fed at any size, that is a old misconception. Give him sufficent light and leave him be

There seems to be different opinions on this, this is my first clam, he is under 2x250MH on a 75 gal., does anyone else with clam experience want to chime in.

Thanks in advance!!

PS FlyGuy

Great Picts!

I think moving it would cause more harm than good if it is in a good place. I agree with you that there are differing opinions but I think that leaving it in the display tank would be better. We will just have to hope more people chime in.:)

Tim

Here Is my experience with a clam:
I put my clam on a flat rock towards the upper part of the tank. It quickly attached to the rock and has been there ever since. I do not feed it directly. It is under one of my 250w MH and is growing well. I have had it for around 4 months.

We have 2 clams, we have never target fed them, just provide plenty of light (top 1/4 of the tank on 234w of t5 lights) and applicable flow. If you want to 'feed' them, dosing the whole tank with phyto is an option, but you really don't need to do anything different than providing ideal water/light conditions for the type of clam you are looking for.

Back