Feeding Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bg3489

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what to feed and how much to feed my corals. I have a clam, button polyps, acropora, umbrella coral, staghorn, octopus "branch" coral, candy cane, star polpy, green ricordea mushroom, a colt coral, brain coral, and one red mushroom colony. They all are relatively new so the polyp colonies are not too big. My inverts are about 15-17 snails, 7 pepperment shrimp, and 3 sand sifting starfish. I have zooplex and phytoplex now but I was wodnering if these two food were enough and exactly how much this animal load requires. Thanks!

I use to feed my corals but i stopped about a year ago. I felt it really didn't do too much, growthwise and they are all still doing just dandy. It is definately an option thing so arule of thumb as to how much to feed will vary from person to person.

bg3489 welcome to RF if i haven't welcomed you yet :p :)!

you don't have to feed them dood, they pretty much just feed from the fish poop and light.
there's some lps that you can feed (brain coral, candy cane) mysis shrimp is very good for them, but just maybe 2 times per week.
Nowdays there's a food call coral frenzy that seems to be working for all the corals, i havent' used it myself but i have heard good things about it.

i used to feed yellow polyps. they started spreading like crazy right after that..i was feeding frozen enriched brine shrimp..i quit feeding them

my yellow p's i dont feed at all. they get some stuff every once and a while. but they really stoped growing all together

DT's or Phytofeast or live based foods are best to feed if you're going to feed at all. Phytoplex, chromaplex, microvert are all dead based foods and not that nutritious. DT's also has come out with a semi-new product Oyster eggs that my clams and sps seem to go after.

Back