Feeding LPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

T

Taras12

From my research, it says that supplemental feeding of my LPS is recommended. I have Lobophyllia, Trachyphyllia and Heliofungia sp. What and, more importantly, HOW do you feed them?:?::?:

Finely chopped sea food, brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, cyclopeeze... etc. If you want, you can target feed them at night using a turkey baster.

agreed completely... and will define max size as 1/4" (6mm) bits for the meats (say... small adult brine shrimp or mysis size and no larger to be safe)

One other question, I have a BTA w/3 juv maroon clowns which seem to have adopted the Heliofungia. The clowns fed and removed excess mucus and debris from the Heliofungia. The H. didn't seem to mind. Is this normal?

normal in the sense that clownfishes will take residence in most any tentacled cnidarian... but dangerous to the coral/with stonies in captivity (this will eventually kill the Heliofungia from repetitive unnatural contact/hosting)

Yes... unless you can get the clowns to take up the BTA instead. Rod Buehler says that one way to encourage clowns to bond with an anemone is to put the BTA and the clowns in a small bucket for several hours. I don't know if it always works. And you can't keep them in the bucket for all that long (for obvious reasons). But it might be worth a shot...

Actually, my maroons rarely leave their BTA. They are well bonded. They actually attack me when I do maintanance around their BTA. They just happened yesterday to feed the Heliofungia and remove some mucus from its mouth.

Back