Feeding my Elegance coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Re: Feeding elegance corals

Good luck with your elegance coral - I've killed 2 of them. I have several other hard corals from the Euphylia family that are closely related to the elegance (Cataphylia). These are hammers, frogspawns, and torch corals. I also have a nice galaxy coral. All these are doing well (growing nicely) and I have had them for a couple of years. I feed them Cyclopeeze. I break off a small chunk from the frozen bar, thaw it out in a tiny cup of saltwater, and then use my turkey baster to squirt it close to the corals. I also feed my corals mysis shrimp. After thawing out in a small cup, I use long tweezers to place near the coral mouths. Don't overfeed 1-2 a week is sufficient.

Elegance corals are really nice and someday I will try again with one. But they are hard to keep alive - they do ok for about 5-6 months then slowly start to die off (shrink away). Hope this helps.

These corals do well with occassional feedings....I would suggest something larger than cyclopeeze and go with a small strip of either squid or a small silverside. I wouldnt feed too often, maybe once every couple of months if that.
How long have you had your elegence coral? What are your tank specs? I've had two of these, but they didnt make it. I'm attributing that to shipping stress. Someday soon I will be setting up an LPS only tank which will have one of these beautiful corals....

Anything you can post up about your experiances with this coral will be helpful to others following along.

Nick

I've had mine going on 6 months now. I feed it every 2-3 days very small pieces of silversides. I notice that if the pieces are to big it will spit them out of it's mouth(s). I placed mine on the substrate rather lying on it's side in a low flow low light area. So far it has been doing well.
I'm waiting to see what Eric Borneman comes up with from his studies of the recent difficulties of keeping this coral.
Here's a couple of then and now pics.
Feb 1st
eleganceA.jpg

Just last week
t6.jpg

Back