Fighting red hair algae in a nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Llarian

I'm having some problems with Asparagopsis taxiformis in my 20G tank. It was hanging out on the sides, but I scraped those and removed the algae, but its encroaching on my rock a bit as well.

Most of the species I've read about that eat it are too large for my smallish tank.

Any suggestions as to how to get this crap out of my tank?

I don't feed much, have a fairly low bioload, use a Remora skimmer in my sump, and run carbon from time to time as well as regular water changes, so I can't imagine its water quality (although the apitasia I'm also fighting might disagree with that, I dunno)

Any suggestions?

-Dylan

Have you checked the tank temperature lately? As the temp goes up the growth rates go up so you might just be seeing a spike in growth.

From this link (http://www.marineland.com/seascope/ss2003_issue3.pdf)

Perhaps a more realistic solution is in finding a grazing organism that has a taste for Asparagopsis. Such is the case with the Pacific Turbo Snail, Turbo fluctuosus. It finds red algae very palatable and preferable to other green and brown micro-algae. This species should not be confused with another turbo snail sold in the hobby, Astrea tectum from the Caribbean. Ten Pacific Turbo Snails can typically be supported in a fifty-five gallon aquarium where micro and filamentous algae are present.

Is red hair algae the same as cyno algae? If so, the way I got it to not grow in my tank while cycling, was to make the conditions in my sump/fuge better for it to grow there. I ran more watts per gallon as well as a longer photo period over the sump. Every week, I couldn't see in my center chamber of my sump, so I'd have to siphon it out until eventually, it doesn't grow anywhere any more. I have a few snails in my tank as well and I don't know if they helped some, but all I know is the tank never had a problem after I lit up my fuge section of my sump the way I explained. If red hair isn't the same thing as cyno algae, then sorry for wasting your time:p

The temp is still steady at 78, no changes. We haven't had a hot enough day for it to change with the ambient yet (its almost fan season though).

My concern about the turbo is it pushing over things in my fairly small tank. They get to be a good 3", don't they? I've never heard them reccomended for a nano.

-Dylan

Dylan, I had the same problem as you. Not much will eat it at all. Manual removal must be done carefully as this stuff will grow just about anywhere it lands. That said, the only snail of the many I've tried that did eat it was a <<zebra turbo>>, trocus sp. The only thing to be wary of after it's gone is you have a larger tank to acclimate the snail to. It's appetite will not be sustained in your typical nano.

Cheers
Steve

Interesting, I've been experiencing the same problem as you with my 20 nano. I think I'll have to pick up a Zebra Turbo and let him have it the stuff and then move him to my 65 since I doubt my 20 could sustain him. Thanks for the info!

-Rick

Have you checked for Phosphate levels? I had a fine red hair algae growing on my rock and on my greens but I used one of the green phos removal filter pads from the local fish store and it worked great. I was pretty skeptical, and thought that maybe they were just a gimmick but I was very surprised and pleased with the way it worked. The red hair disapeared after about 3 days and the green cyano on the sand bed was gone in about a week, neither of which have been seen since. I have not changed my maintenece regimen at all, in fact, I have slacked off a little. Phosphates were my problem, and if you have good water quality and are still getting algae then it is probably a safe bet that it is yours as well.

You mentioned you have a sump. Have you thought of running a safe macro algae in your sump? I have really been amazed at my luck with my chaeto being able to out-compete all other algaes for growth nutrients. Its quite nice.

Chaeto is next on the roadmap after replumbing my sump (currently in progress) and making a movable acrylic divider to separate the overflow/skimmer/refugium section from the return pump section.

Soon though. You'll be the first person I ask for Chaeto Luke. =)

-Dylan

Back