Filter Problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jakeman

Hello everyone,

I bought a new Aqua One 104F Maxi Internal Filter yesterday for my tank. My problem is I think it may be too powerful. There's a noticeable current that uproots plants and makes a nightmare of trying to feed my fish; The flakes get dragged along the surface of the water then get sucked under and scattered all throughout the tank. If I add the Venturi adapter it gets even worse.

I've tried adjusting the power control but it doesn't seem to do too much at all...

My tank is 4ft x 18in x 18in, however many litres that is.

Am I missing something with the power controls? May it even be broken? Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Not familiar with this one, It sounds like your talking fresh water tank?
Is there anyway you can point it at the front glass & deflect the flow some?
Maybe a few pictures would help?
Welcome to Reef Frontiers! :)

Maybe someoen else will know more about these & help chime in!

Ahh just looked at it on-line, maybe you can put a small hose on the outlet to help redirect some of the flow?

Facing it to the front is a good idea, I didn't think of that. And yes it's a fresh water tank. Does this forum cover fresh water? I didn't really check to be honest. :oops:

The hose you attach to the outlet is the Venturi apparently but that only manages to make things worse by stirring up the water more with bubbles.

I'll try facing it to the front and see how that goes but I'd like a more 'proper' fix if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help and the welcome. I'll try to get some pictures for you but I don't like your chances.

Ok I've attached a T-shaped PVC fitting and it's improved things tremendously. I have the filter sitting in the middle of the tank, on the back wall, facing the front. Water flow is now good.

Thanks for your help guys.

Oh and what kind of paint would be suitable to paint the PVC fitting? I'd like it black instead of white.

Back