Filter sock micron rating question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I got a bunch of 100 micron filter bags (Monofilament Mesh Nylon) from filterbags.com a while back but I am getting a lot of mulm on the bottom of my barebottom sump. If I get a finer micron rating (75 or 50) would this help or would my filter sock just overflow very fast and i won't notice much difference?

Last edited:
100 mic. in 5 mic.

Guess the title says it all.I do this and it will usually take 2 days before it overflows,instead of 5 hours.BTW saltwater aquariums are best stired not filtered.

How quickly it clogs is really a function of how much water you pass through them (no matter what pore size), and to a degree how much particulate passes through the bag. Most agree 100 micron is the most suitable. I have used 50 and 100 micron, and feel the 100 is the better choice.

so which materials do you guys recommend?

i personally have a bunch of monofilament 100 micron bags. they have this plasticy feel to them. they seem to be working fine except the fine mulm which I believe is a factor of just the high micron rating. they wash out very clean though in the washing machine with bleach and so far have held up (3 months). I think I will go with the microfiber next time because they have lower micron ratings available.

I like the felt bags from filterbags.com. They hold up well to the washing machine.

Don

interesting, the company kept repeating to me that even though most aquarists who they sell to buy that kind (felt) they said they will not hold up to too many washings. they recommended them to me but I bought the monofilament instead because a couple of people recommended it to me on reefcentral. they cost double too!

Don and I have already talked about bags so he has all the scoop on them :D

csababubbles

Bleach, keep an eye on the for break down.

What micron size you choose to use is an opinion based on your needs. With that said 100 micons is huge, 0.1 mm, the size of fine sand.

220G

How quickly it clogs is really a function of how much water you pass through them (no matter what pore size), and to a degree how much particulate passes through the bag.

The is more to it than that :) Is also dependant on the growth rate of the biofilm and even what the biofilm is made of, high flow rate of low flow rate.

Back