Final Decision on Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

The time has come to decide on lighting. Like everyone else I'm looking at T-5 vs MH. The tank is a 6' 125g. The tank can run very cool without a heater so heat is not a problem. Also our electrical rates are pretty reasonable and after comparing it comes out pretty even for either. What I'm looking at is.

T-5: Tek 3x80w retrofit with Icecap 660 ballast and SLS reflectors
MH 1: Two 175w Blue wave 1 pulse start ballast with 2 lumenarc III reflectors
MH 2: One galaxy 250w dual electronic ballast with 2 lumenarc III reflectors

This is all base stuff. The most I would upgrade the T-5s would be 5 bulbs. The actinic supplement for the MH would be a pair of 80w T-5's.
I don't have to keep a lot of high light stuff. I also have a 75g that I may downsize to soon. Also how do the lumenarcs compare to the lumenbrights.

IMO, you'll be best suited with a 6x60" t5 setup. You can glue two 36" IC reflectors or aquacintics reflectors. Then run them on two 660's. This is how i have my 125set up. I can keep anything i want like this. The lumenarc 3's are great too. I'd go with a 3x250 w mini 3's on a 125. HTH

How deep is your tank & what do you want or desire to keep long term or main types of corals or clams?

mh2 with 14 k pheonix or 12k reefluk or 20k coralvue for mainly sps in 2/3's of the tank area

T-5 for lps softies and maybe some sps up higher

Back