finishing product for aluminum?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I am making a led light hanger out of aluminum flat bar and I am done sanding it. I have the look, I'd like to keep. But I'm sure I am going to need somesort of rattle can finish on top of it to seal it and keep it from corroding or changing in any way.
What would I use to keep that look in a satin finish. How about a gloss finish?

FWIW, this is the second one. I painted the first and I'm not happy with it or the design.

Hey Marty, I just used a silicone spray meant for LED's and sprayed entire aluminum framework. it has kept the original sanded finish very well for almost a year now.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Marty, I just used a silicone spray meant for LED's and sprayed entire aluminum framework. it has kept the original sanded finish very well for almost a year now.

Cheers, Todd

Really?

That's simple and very easy to remove if plans change.

When you say meant for leds, where do you get this product?
I have Liquid Wrench Silicone spray. Think that will work?

Cheers, Todd

Todd, how much did you sand your aluminum?
What grit did you go down too?

You could also just use a flat clear coat of enamel paint. You can pick up cans of it anywhere

have you looked into diy anodized aluminum. may be a bit over the top, but it sure looks great.

Just did a goggle search on diy anodized aluminum and I don't think I'll be doing that.
So far Todds idea is sounding like the easiest and does what I'm looking for.

DIY Home Anodizing

Why not just a brushed look? Just some scotchbride in a random motion. I dont think it will rust to much unless its close to the sw.

+1 about the enamel paint. Maybe a lite primer coat underneath too. I work with aluminum everyday and can ask the paint guys wat type of paint is best....
Hths
-d

Why not just a brushed look? Just some scotchbride in a random motion. I dont think it will rust to much unless its close to the sw.

+1 about the enamel paint. Maybe a lite primer coat underneath too. I work with aluminum everyday and can ask the paint guys wat type of paint is best....
Hths
-d

That's what I'm going for, a brushed look.
During the bending process, there are marks on the aluminum from the bender ( bumper mounted bender for flat metal).
So I used a 220 grit sand paper to remove all marks and dents, plus the manufactures markings.
It has a slightly brushed look with a tiny amount of shine that I want to keep.

It will be near the water as it is the light hanger for my led fixture. 10" from the top and 3" from the back of the tank.

I tried the painted look on my first attempt and decided I didn't like it.
I used a primer specificly for aluminum and a hammerrite paint.
It came out alright, but just not what I was looking for. Plus the bend was all wrong.

Hey Marty, sorry for delay.... having a bunch of family over... but here is a pic of the I spray used, got it from Kirk (NC2WA) and believe he bought it from Steves LED's ??? I'll have to check when I get a moment. I also used 220 grit sandpaper for the brushed finish look.

DSCF0198.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Back