FireWorm Problem?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Well today i was rearranging a xenia, and when i picked up the small rock i noticed 3 fireworms! They were hiding under this tiny rock, most likely for shelter, so if theres 3 in that small of a space i cant imagine how many are spread around my tank! Does anyone know a way to get rid of them??

- Thanks

Pretty sure thats a fireworm!

Firewormpic1.jpg

firewormpic2.jpg

I thought that's what a common bristle worm looked like. I have tons of those. Can they be harmful?

I just looked up a ton of images of fire worms, and they look a little different than what I have. The fireworms seemed more rounded at the tips with smaller bristles. Mine are long and thiner at the ends with pretty long bristles.

My coral banded shrimp make short work of any bristle worms that are dumb enough to venture out near them. It's great fun watching them chow down....lol...

My local fish guy told me that bristle worms can be very good at cleaning up...and to only consider them a problem if I see them venturing out durring the "daylight" hours. On the rare occassion that I find a large one (yes, I like to use a flashlight sometimes at night & peek around)....I pull them out & feed them to the Worminater (the giant white spotted hermit crab that I was given---only to discover he isn't reef safe---so he lives in the sump). The last time I bought some cheato....it had bristle worms in it...I let it hang out with him in the sump before moving it to the fuge....he munched them all!!!

81b0f85b.jpg

Back