First tank occupants - clownfish pair >> acting normal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused

I acquired a mixed pair yesterday - a mis-barred black and a regular ocellaris - both juveniles. The water parameters were acceptable; I acclimated them slowly as instructed and released them into the tank after about 100 minutes. They seem to get along with each other; mostly hanging out together towards the back at first, but they have explored somewhat and both ate some yesterday.

Do clowns "sleep" in any sense of the word? This morning they were both suspended in the top back corners of the tank, heads-down / tails-up. After I nudged them a little they stirred around, but took some time to get going - even floating sideways on the top for a while. Is this normal behavior?

They might be just adjusting to the new environment, I bet once they find their "spot" they will act more normal-fishy. As far as sleeping goes, is there any fish out there that does NOT sleep? I would let 'em sleep in, they had a big day yesterday.. lol

I can't say for sure, but when I had a freshwater aquarium I had some tiger barbs that slept the same way when they were introduced to my tank. The clown I have also exhibited this behavior when he was first added.

After some digging; I found some old threads on other forums in which owners were discussing clownfish sleeping habits. They are found snoozing in all sorts of odd spots and orientations once the lights go out.

Thanx for the help!!

my clownfish sleeps in the back corner of the tank stuck to the spot where the filter sucks in water:) its very cute i have to say.

Anemonefishes usually take some time to adjust to new surroundings. Having them take refuge in a corner (top or bottom) is not unusual. They keep moving even during 'rest' times, though with a sluggish effect.

However, I'm concerned about their size. You referred to them as a pair. Do they have an obvious difference in size of no less than 1.5"?

:)

Anemonefishes usually take some time to adjust to new surroundings. Having them take refuge in a corner (top or bottom) is not unusual. They keep moving even during 'rest' times, though with a sluggish effect.

However, I'm concerned about their size. You referred to them as a pair. Do they have an obvious difference in size of no less than 1.5"?

:)

They do differ a bit in size - but not by an inch-plus..

Curious why it matters if they differ in size. Mine are the exact same size (or so it appears)..a nd markings are pretty spot on too.. I have to work really hard to tell them apart from each other. Is this potentially an issue?

Curious why it matters if they differ in size. Mine are the exact same size (or so it appears)..a nd markings are pretty spot on too.. I have to work really hard to tell them apart from each other. Is this potentially an issue?

From what this noob has heard it's an issue of "who's the boss" and which one morphs into the female...

Curious why it matters if they differ in size. Mine are the exact same size (or so it appears)..a nd markings are pretty spot on too.. I have to work really hard to tell them apart from each other. Is this potentially an issue?​

you might have a *** pair??.........Sorry I just couldnt fight the urge to say that??

Mojo

Wait.. I'm not very good at filling in blanks. :)

Mine get along well that I can see. But they do do this gyrating thing they do quite a bit. Weird fish. Was hoping they would take to the new anemone but they seem pleased just swimming around and frequenting a little cave.

WABlonde;611357.. they do do this gyrating thing they do quite a bit...[/QUOTE said:
Is that what the kids are calling it these days... "gyrating" ?? :badgrin:

Oh man *** disco fish??? lol On a serious note they need time to decide who will be dominate, the the gyrating they may be on their way to figuring that out already. When I had clowns that didnt take right away to the anenome I just put the food for them in it, it seemsed to spark the concept

Mojo

If your clowns are dong the gyrating thing and going into the cave you may have a nest in it. Not all clowns will host and I understand not all anemones will allow a clown to host. Clown eggs will hatch in 3 to 5 day and it will happen about an hour after lights out. Keep and eye on your tank about then with a flashlight and see if you catch the hatch.

Anemonefish don't, for all tense and purposes have a gender when young. When two are together, one develops into the female, which is larger and dominant. She keeps the male in the male state by 'picking' on it. From our (human) perspective, she seems to bully the other fish.

When the fish start off the same size, the fight begins to see who becomes the female and can be a war of sorts. In a captive environment, the fish can't get away from one another. So to aid in the sexing of the two Anemonefish, you start off with one large than the other. This cuts down conflict by making the larger one become the female by default and the smaller one the male. Thus they fight less and mate faster.

For those who like Anemonefish and were introduced to them by Disney, it is important to learn about them and understand their needs so that their husbandry can be the most rewarding and the fish thrive and not just survive.

An added benefit for having two of a different size is that they are not likely to be related. Two fish of the same size can come from the same brood and thus be brothers and sisters. Nature does not encourage such bonding. But in the confines of a tank, such things lead to very aggressive behavior to the point where one fish could die at the bullying of the other.

The black is slightly larger than the 'regular' occy - so far so good aggression-wise...

Back