First time drilling tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

Opinions on hole placement. Are these ok? I like where they are :) The masking tape is temp.

Overflow
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396542450.366766.jpg

Return
sunuhuvy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396542492.191450.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396542492.191450.jpg
    29.8 KB
Is this for a overflow?

What type of overflow do you want?

What look are you going for?
Upper corner box?
Top to bottom box?

Or just a up turned 90?

Many ways to go.

if it is for a return line how big is the hole going to be. i would do a 1 inch bulk head for a return. good luck on drilling. takes one bad chip in the glass and all it is going to do is crack when you tighten up the bulk head. i would take it to oceans by design and have them drill it.

Go slow! I let the weight of the drill push the bit through. Use lots of water to reduce heat. Speed and heat are your enemy. It might be worth while finding a cheap beat up aquarium to practice on.

Read the thread guys!! One if for overflow and one is return. I'm just asking for opinions on placement. Whatever happened to keeping it simple? Ugh!! @reefman do you actually think everyone on this forum lives down the street from OBD? Lol

sorry my bad. im old school and when reef frontiers started it was all people from just this area. i did read this thread from the start. you were not clear if this hole was for a return or a overflow. so maybe you should be a little more clear. we are just trying to help you out bud. so maybe take it to a local glass store. if it was me i would lower the hole. it is pretty close to the top edge of the glass. as you drill it can crack it to the top of the tank just my 2 cents

Read the thread guys!! One if for overflow and one is return. I'm just asking for opinions on placement. Whatever happened to keeping it simple? Ugh!! @reefman do you actually think everyone on this forum lives down the street from OBD? Lol

Road Trip!!! :)
I assume the templates came with the overflow box, right? That should get you away from the top and sides the recommended amount. If you've considered the final height of the box in the tank as to where it will set your water level, and considered the idea that your holes are at different heights such that your overflow will be on the right (or which ever side that is) of the tank and how that effects your plumbing plans.. you look go to go to me!

Road Trip!!! :)
I assume the templates came with the overflow box, right? That should get you away from the top and sides the recommended amount. If you've considered the final height of the box in the tank as to where it will set your water level, and considered the idea that your holes are at different heights such that your overflow will be on the right (or which ever side that is) of the tank and how that effects your plumbing plans.. you look go to go to me!

Bravo bravo and thank you!! lol Yeah the temp plates came with the kit.

was there something deleted on this thread? is reeffrontiers malfunctions AGAIN?

I read through it 3 times and didn't see any info on what the holes are for untill spieszak said "I assume the templates came with the overflow box, right? That should get you away from the top and sides the recommended amount. If you've considered the final height of the box in the tank as to where it will set your water level, and considered the idea that your holes are at different heights such that your overflow will be on the right (or which ever side that is) of the tank and how that effects your plumbing plans.. you look go to go to me!

is there a previous page to this thread? its says I'm on page one!

there are two images, only one is inline though, so its confusing. The first is marked overflow, NOT inline, the second is marked return.

there are two images, only one is inline though, so its confusing. The first is marked overflow, NOT inline, the second is marked return.

my bad. I see the name return above the pic now. talk about ADD huh.

thats why I hit the space bar a few times before posting images though. so people like me will see the words,lol.

was there something deleted on this thread? is reeffrontiers malfunctions AGAIN?

I read through it 3 times and didn't see any info on what the holes are for untill spieszak said "I assume the templates came with the overflow box, right? That should get you away from the top and sides the recommended amount. If you've considered the final height of the box in the tank as to where it will set your water level, and considered the idea that your holes are at different heights such that your overflow will be on the right (or which ever side that is) of the tank and how that effects your plumbing plans.. you look go to go to me!

is there a previous page to this thread? its says I'm on page one!

me too.....

1st is Overflow 2nd is Return :) I'm going to Wally World to buy a drill :) Then I'm coming back here to blame all you blind a$$ reefers for getting my holes crooked!! Lol

It didn't!!! We're getting slapped stupid with a snow storm :( 2" per hour since about 6:am Very heavy wet snow! No drill for me today :( So I'm gonna put my baffles in :)

This street in front of my house was completely bare yesterday!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396632660.588372.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Back