Fish and invertebrates X-rays sensitivity

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

albert

Hi, are the baggage inspection devices used at airport checkpoints safe for fishes and invertebrates?

Here's a bump for you.... Great Question!

I've always thought they were safe, but I'm not 100% sure. I know some folks that attended MACNA left with corals in tow, so I think it would be safe.

My 2 friends here, at the LFS, do it every time they go away and never had any problems. They normally bring back discus which are very easily stressed and sensative and never loss one or developed any problems with them or any other fish. I think it is cool...

I think its probley cool. I know you can xray a bird and it will live, cant see how it would kill a fish if a bird can take it.

wrightme43 said:
I know you can xray a bird and it will live
Sure you can. If it will and how it will live after that depend on the radiation dosis :rolleyes:

My daugther is going to buy a baby "Jako" parrot and she explicitly asked from pet shop if it would be safe and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT. That's why I started to think about.

Found a good story The fish that threatened national security.
Wedged between some corduroys and khakis, we prayed he wouldn't suffocate or get squished, not to mention fried by the security X-rays that can be fatal to small creatures such as fish. Every Web site I visited, every vet that I contacted said that air travel was no problem for Bettas, as long as I did not, under any circumstances, allow it to go through the X-ray machine.

In my research, I had learned that running a fish through an X-ray would be like a human getting radiation without wearing the protective lead cloak.

As I write this I sit with a cat in my lap and my fish, which I have aptly renamed X-ray, swimming contentedly in his glass-beaded bowl.
Happy End ;)

As National Securities have undoubtedly tightened in the last decade, there obviously must have been a renewed increase in the inspection of baggage, both on-board and in cargo. That being said, wouldn't it stand to reason that the cargo in the belly of the plane would also necessitate scrutiny? Millions of fish travel the "friendly skies" after recieving X-rays from Cargo inspections. The liklihood of it causing irreparible tumors or brain damage is slim to none. Ever hear about the scanner at Wally World that kills fish? Ha.

Back