fish are dieing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wa1980

any idea's why my fis h are dieing. in the last 2 days i have had a blue hippo and a dwarf lion die. my water quality is very good. all my corals look great all my inverts are doing great. so i cant physicaly see anything wrong. what shopuld i test next. all my oter fish look fine. I am starting to do another water change......

Dustin

fish are dying

any idea's why my fis h are dieing. in the last 2 days i have had a blue hippo and a dwarf lion die. my water quality is very good. all my corals look great all my inverts are doing great. so i cant physicaly see anything wrong. what shopuld i test next. all my oter fish look fine. I am starting to do another water change......

Dustin

Were there any signs the fish were starting to have trouble? Color changes, spots, lethargy etc...? Anything new added to the tank that might have precipitated the problem?

How long have you had the fish? Have you changed anything as far as putting something in the tank, new dosing solution, diffrent water used, you get the idea?

In addition to what they said, actual numbers on the water parameters would help too. Many times, it seems that people's definition of "great" or "perfect" water are very different!

In addition to what they said, actual numbers on the water parameters would help too. Many times, it seems that people's definition of "great" or "perfect" water are very different!

Additionally, the testing methods are often flawed.
If the fish are dying, typically IMO four reasons in order of likelihood
1. Poor water conditions such as immature tank or insufficient water changes
2. Disease present though not yet observed
3. Fish were sick before acquisition
4. Electrical short or toxic contaminents in system

Need info on the following:
brand and types of tests
measurements on Temp, salinity, PH, nitrates, ammonia
Tank size and age
Type powerheads
quantity live rock
filtration such as skimmer
date of last water change and frequency
type store fish came from and when

Were there any signs the fish were starting to have trouble? Color changes, spots, lethargy etc...? Anything new added to the tank that might have precipitated the problem?

with the lion fish i noticed the night before his color was lighter then normal.

Can you post up some more information, so you can get the best advice? Tank size, how long you had each fish, what other inhabitants are there in the tank, what are your water parameters (aside from their "good"), what equipment is on the tank, what and how often are you feeding, what was the last fish introduced and when in respect to the fish deaths, were both fish purchased from the same store?

Sorry so many questions, but I think most of these will help us get an idea of your system.

Back