Fish facing left in photography GUIDELINE

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bookofchange

I recently read a poorly edited article which mentioned a guideline concerning aquarium photography, but gave no explanations as to WHY it should be so...

The authors said that fish should (when possible) always be photographed from the left, and it was recommended that if the fish were displayed from the right-side one should flip it. (They provided a few exceptions: humans, text, etc.)

A quick search brought up a reference to the practice that when fish are collected and specimens dissected, the left-side is left unmarred to facilitate photography.

But, that reference is for scientific research... and the article was meant for novice photographers.

Where did this "hobbyist" photography guideline originate from? Are they serious?

Right now I'm looking at a gorgeous book cover for "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S Paletta... and that fishy is facing right. Throughout his entire book he provides photographic examples of livestock in whatever direction is most appropriate for the layout of the book, or the composition of the picture (some with many fishes in it).

Who's a "lefter"? And if you are, can you provide me with the reasoning for it?

Thanks!

:confused:

----

You know sometimes I'm a total weirdo dummy head. They were making references to submission for identification.

*slapping forhead*

But, the question could still stand. =]

Do you make all your photos point left?

HAHAHA.

-------

Nope, I went back for a third pass, and I read it correctly the first time. A previous section concerned submissions, and this was meant as an overall guideline for fish photography in general.

Last edited:
I keep asking my fish to turn to the left so I can take their mug shot, they listen as well as my grandson.

Don

I keep asking my fish to turn to the left so I can take their mug shot, they listen as well as my grandson.

Don

BWAHAHAHA!

That's what I was thinking. My criticism of the guideline is that it promotes an environment of homogenous photography. The article was only a year old, and had been written by "experts". In an interest to abide by the TOS of promoting a positive discussion (and no bashing) I omitted the source, and would only like to talk about this left-side business and who might also subscribe to it and for what practical reason.

Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Yeah I bet they expect me to drive the speed limit too.:p

Back