Fish recommendations...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

af_hall14

It's time to start adding fish into my 120 gallon..... It will be a reef set-up and I'm curious as to what kind of fish people prefer for that size tank and in what order to introduce them??

Fish that I definitely will have:
gold-striped maroon
powder blue tang
my hubby would like a blue regal tang
some gobies
some blennies

the rest is optional.....

Any suggestions? I here some people say there are strict ways/orders to introduce fish into a tank but others say it's a hit and miss.... What do you think?

120 gallon tank How long is it?

What is the lenght of your tank? 48" or 72" this will help us with the tang choices you are asking..HTH Jeff

af_hall14 said:
It's time to start adding fish into my 120 gallon..... It will be a reef set-up and I'm curious as to what kind of fish people prefer for that size tank and in what order to introduce them??

Fish that I definitely will have:
gold-striped maroon
powder blue tang
some gobies
some blennies

the rest is optional.....

Any suggestions? I here some people say there are strict ways/orders to introduce fish into a tank but others say it's a hit and miss.... What do you think?

Well with a Tank that short you could go with the Blue Regal Tang, I don't think it would work out for the Powder Blue they are Very territorial :mad: and require allot of room to swim, So to play it safe one Tang for a 48" long tank can be done. I would also recommend putting the tang in toward the end of you stocking as they usually are the largest and most bold unless you get a Little one :)....Jeff

af_hall14 said:
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. It's 120 tall, so 48".

Gold stripe maroons can be very nasty as well. I love them and have one but it should be introduced near the end as well. If you have thoughts of having 2 of them make sure they are different sizes and introduce them at the same time. It's still hit and miss if they will get along but that is probably your best bet.
Firefish are always nice to add as a peaceful fish and I know that mine is out in the open all the time. I also just got a scooter blennie this week and he is the coolest fish but you probably want to wait until your system is well established or that they are eating prepared or frozen food before you bring it home.
I agree on the Powder Blue - those guys get big and they are also prone to getting ich. I plan on having one in my 190g but he will be the only tang in there. Either that or a Naso - still undecided.
HTH

Do you know what types of corals you will keep? I love bi-color blennies, but mine nipped/ate my SPS. I also like clown gobies, but hear their behavior in the SPS branches can cause damage. I really like Midas Blennies, too:

41Ecmid_u5.jpg

those are some nice fishes
i like the green clown gobie, i got one for free from a pet store, but it died because my tank was not old enough i think :(

IMO every tank needs clownfish. How about a copperband butterfly? Maybe a royal gramma, fridmani or sunset dottyback? A school of 7-8 chromis is a good choice provided you have the skimmer. You have a decent sand bed? Check out dragon gobies, pearly jawfish and yellow watchman gobies.

You like big fish or small fish more? The possibilities are endless =-)

Back