Fish Selection for 37g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skrymir

I have a 37g cube with a 15 gal sump, using natural filtration along with a protein skimmer. The tank has been running for awhile now and doing real well with the mushroom and corals that are in it. I was wondering about the number of fish that would be appropriate to keep. I talked to the LFS about having a small Coral Beauty Angle (<2") and 2-3 Chromis or clowns, I can't pick. They seemed to think that was okay, but then again they want my money. Any opinions?

The chromis or clowns will definately be fine...I've never kept a coral beauty so couldn't say if they were reef safe or how big of a tank they would need. Maybe someone else will know...:)

The general rule of thumb is 1 ich of fish per 5 gallons. So that would give you approx. 7.4 iches of fish until you max out. Of course, general rules of thumb aren't very accurate.

Coral Beauty's can be housed in your tank. Be careful though, they have been known to nip at corals. Some have a problem others don't, it's a gamble.

Coral Beauty's get up to 4", O. Clowns up to 3.5 and Chromis up to 3". So if you got the coral beauty and two clowns, you'd be over the 7.4" rule of thumb.

My thougt is that you could get a CB and O. Clown and not have to worry about overstocking at all. If you wanted a pair of Clowns, i don't see that really being a problem. If you go the chromis route, i'd get just 2...3 is pushing it indeed. HTH

i disagree with the inches per gallon because it's more of a mass of the fish thing and that's how much waste they produce, suggested tanks sizes for coral beauty's i've heard is 30 gallons and most of them are reef safe but not all, it varies from fish to fish, i think you'll be fine with a pair of clowns the CB and perhaps another small fish, JMO

Depends more on your nutrient export, than any set rule.
Say one 30 gallon has a lee counter current airstone skimmer, and a won brothers filter for a 30 gallon tank.
The other 30 gallon has a asm g-2 skimmer, a sump, chaeto fuge, and high flow.
I mean you could put a heck of alot more fish in the tank with a good skimmer.
I have a g-3 on my 75g.
I have a blue face angel,
Powder blue tang,
mandarin goby,
two green chromis
figi damsel
swalisi basslet
royal gramma
coral beauty angel
melenarus wrasse
two skunk cleaner shrimp
one blood cleaner shrimp
arrow crab
coral banded shrimp
tuxedo urchin
clams
sps
lps
anemone.
My tank would be crazy way overstocked if I didnt have a good skimmer.
I mean the blue face is just massive. He is well adjusted, none of the fish show any odd behavior, no aggression, all very brightly colored.
It really really depends on how you set up your tank.

Back