Fish shop road trip, Wa to Ca. Which stores?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cyber_ecco

Well...looks like I'll be making a long road trip next week down the I5 from Washington to LA. Would like to know if any of you guys can recomend good fish shops worth stopping along the way. I got a list of the good fish shops in the Portland area (thanks to everyone who replied my earlier post) but what about other towns in between. If you could let me know what you recomend and if possible the addresses that would be terrific. Thanks everyone.

Gord.

There is a big one in Sacramento and the Bay Area has alot of good ones. Exotic Aquarium on franklin Blvd

Last edited:
I could list a few in the Bay area but it is quite a way out off of I-5. If you really want to though.
All About fish Concord, Ca.
Aquarium Concepts Hayward Ca.
I cant think of the others right now. Its too early in the morning maybe they will come to me later.

I don't mind going out of the way, but only if its really worth it. Just don't want to drive an hour off the I5 just to find out its a small shop with dying fish in every tank. hehehehe...thanks guys.

Gord.

Hey! My neck of the woods.... Bay area stores.

Aquarium Concepts moved 2 months ago, they're in Dublin now. I don't know what to expect, since everything is "new" again. However, they've typically been one of my favorites, and always my first stop.

The ones you don't want to miss are:

Atlantis Aquarium (atlantisaquarium.net) in Fremont, home to just about every LE SPS in existence. Bring a credit card with a high limit. Amazing corals here, all sold frag style. Seriously, you just need to see it. We've all seen the unbelievable photos, assuming they're photoshopped. To see the corals in real life, all in one tank (scary, I know), you realize... that stuff's for real.

Aquatic Gallery (aquatic-gallery.com), in Milpitas. This is the standard setter. Beautiful store! Couches in front of displays, etc. If I could only see one, I'd still pick this one over Atlantis.

Both are a ways from I5, but worth it, IMO. Down south, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Pick some stores, and go see them. The south's big claim is more along the lines of variety and selection than high end shops. Not to say there aren't high end shops. For me, though, being half way between LA and the Bay area, I'll head to the Bay area every time.

Many of the national wholesalers are down near LAX airport, so a lot of the "good stuff" heads down south first, as well. If you somehow get an "in" to the wholesalers, you absolutely cannot pass that up. It will change the way you think about this hobby. It did for me. Imagine Costco, but live fish only. And every variety you can imagine, including some you didn't know existed.

Definaltey stop at Upscales in Tualatin Just off I-5 South of Portland.

WWW.Upscales.com

Well worth the trip. I have been in shops all over the country and this is the best for Frags and corals.

Great looking show tanks as well.

Andy

I could list a few in the Bay area but it is quite a way out off of I-5. If you really want to though.
All About fish Concord, Ca.
Aquarium Concepts Hayward Ca.
I cant think of the others right now. Its too early in the morning maybe they will come to me later.

I will second All About Fish in Pleasant Hill. Actually miss that place when I moved up here.

Definaltey stop at Upscales in Tualatin Just off I-5 South of Portland.

WWW.Upscales.com

Well worth the trip. I have been in shops all over the country and this is the best for Frags and corals.

Great looking show tanks as well.

Andy

As far as Oregon stores go, this is probably the best...it's what I measure all other stores to.

If you're driving down and back definately stop there on the way back...we have family in PDX and always make Upscales our last stop before coming home...because we ALWAYS end up buying something.

There is always some kind of frag sale, too...last time I think we were getting SPS frags for $12.50/ea (4 for $50, and they extended it to the 5th one we got)...and no sales tax to boot!!!

...oh yea, they have two "show" tanks in the store that are just incredible...really easy access on/off I-5...maybe a mile from the interstate.

Back