• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fish Trap?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

Nevermind about the trap, I found someone who will let me borrown their fish trap. How much do you guys sell firefish for? I'm trying to find a pair that are already matched up. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The "official" recomendation is to keep them singly. They will pair up and dominate conspecifics eventually to the point of harassment and/or death. Eventually you are left with a single individual. This is in sharp contrast to the wild where they form shoals and social hierarchies.

I read through everything on the wet web media site and it had some good info. It seems they will do fine in a group provided they were in the group at the LFS and there is enough space in the tank. The rough estimate I found is 20 gallons per firefish to allow enough "bolt holes" for them to sleep in, ect. I think some run into problems when the buy the fish from different sources and mix them into the tank at different times. I bought three of them and they haven't been more than a few inches from each other and are swimming out in the open. Plus mine are housed with very non-aggressive fish, that should keep stress to a minimum. I'll hope for the best!

That sounds like a good plan. I think if you add some other schooling fish they can provide enough distraction to keep the aggression at bay. The key is the "bolt holes" with a decent rock structure. Buying them all at once will at least give them the social structure intact.

Last edited:
Regular Firefish are anywere from $9.99ea-$15.99ea depending on orgin.
Purple Firefish are usually $29.99ea.
Alot of times I would usually have more than 2 in a larger size aquarium

Back