Fixture opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
Well I haven't really dealt with light fixtures much so I thought I would get other people's opinion to see what they like and dont like about current available fixtures. Due to a tank crash (frag tank popped a seam) I'm down to just my display and i'm kind of liking just having one tank so I think i'm going to keep it that way for now. With that said I've decided to do away with the canopy I was building and instead have a single fixture hanging from the seam. Here are the requirements for it

-MUST have an adjustable hanging kit available so I can raise it up if i'm working on the tank.

-MUST use metal halide (s)

-Be 36" long as that is the length of my tank.

I've looked at many different fixtures out there but as most of them come with DE bulbs I'm not super familiar with how the spread pattern is going to be when over the tank and think if I went DE I would have to go with 2 lesser output than the single 250W SE that i'm running now. Having additional actinics would be nice but not a requirement as I really like the color i'm currently getting with my SE 12k reeflux on a Icecap ballast.

Her's a link so one that i'm looking at, all though i'm unsure if a hanging kit is available for it.

http://www.aquacave.com/36-current-...mh-w-4x39w-t5-ho-br-18-lunar-lights-1277.html

If you have any recommendations of other fixtures, please feel free to chime in.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Tom

I have a similar 48" fixture to the one in your link and I really like it. The DE bulbs have great coverage and PAR so long as you buy decent bulbs. I also use a hanging kit on mine and it sits about 9" above the water and has plenty of room for me to get into the tank without it being in the way. Of course you could hook a system in your attic on an actuator to raise and lower the fixture like that one guy recently posted. It was pretty damn sweet.

I have a similar 48" fixture to the one in your link and I really like it. The DE bulbs have great coverage and PAR so long as you buy decent bulbs. I also use a hanging kit on mine and it sits about 9" above the water and has plenty of room for me to get into the tank without it being in the way. Of course you could hook a system in your attic on an actuator to raise and lower the fixture like that one guy recently posted. It was pretty damn sweet.

you wouldn't happen to have a link to that thread would you? That sounds interesting.

While I was at the frag swap I got a chance to check out the new aqua illuminations 12" LED 74w fixture. Talk a sweet piece of reef lighting, unfortunately my tank is too wide for a single and I am sure that a pair is not only overkill for my little 58g but $1300 is allot of coin to be dropping on lighting. SO i'm back to square one on figuring out lighting for my tank. My current lumenbright reflector is just really not cutting it for me id doesn't have near enough spread for a 3' tank IMHO.

Tom

I dont feel that 250 would be overkill at all on a 58.
A pair of 250 phoenix 14ks accompanied by some T-5's and some LEDs and you'll be set.

I use a 250 watt 20k Radium on my 20" deep zoanthid tank.
While it is 30" wide,,,, with a standard bat wing style reflector, I did have darker areas on each side. Then I made a enlongated lumenarc reflector and have better coverage.
I don't think it would be over kill at all. Corals love light and I think 2x250 watt would be awesome.

I would have to agree that it wouldnt be overkill at all..I have a coralife aqualight pro hqi halide fixture...This was an upgrade from my last fixture which Chicas01 purchased from me..I have been nothing but happy with the fixture.The fixture looks nice and produces great lighting..Of course,i immediatly upgraded the bulbs!!! Adam came to the house to help me re-aquascape and was amazed by the lighting produced from the fixture...I would highly endorce their product!!..Check out fosters and smith in their lighting ...when Jen bought me mine...She got it nearly half off...Just my 2 cents!!!!Shane

I am running 3 x 250w MH on an almost 8 foot tank, the ends of my tank do not have much light but I do not have rock there anyway (open swim room for the fish).

I have found I like to not have the light hitting the glass/acrylic as it results in a lot less algae on the tank. So my lights are back as far as they can go without the reflectors being over the acrylic. The light only hits the bottom 5-6" of the front pane.

I am actually looking at options to get away from the MH, too much heat, energy and you have to replace the bulbs so often.

I am running 3 x 250w MH on an almost 8 foot tank, the ends of my tank do not have much light but I do not have rock there anyway (open swim room for the fish).

I have found I like to not have the light hitting the glass/acrylic as it results in a lot less algae on the tank. So my lights are back as far as they can go without the reflectors being over the acrylic. The light only hits the bottom 5-6" of the front pane.

I am actually looking at options to get away from the MH, too much heat, energy and you have to replace the bulbs so often.

This is exactly why I was looking very much into the LED fixture. But after discussing the coverage of the aqua illuminations fixture with the folks at reefgeek (where AI sends all thier customers) I found out that a single fixture is really suited for up to 24" of width. making the cost of 2 fixtures out of my price range.

I have however seen a quick vid on the new vertex fixtures that are going to be released next month but i'm not sure on the output of them as the LED's dont have reflectors.

The look of halides is nice and you cant beat the shimmer but using less power and creating less heat I'm finding to be a bit more important.

Tom

you wouldn't happen to have a link to that thread would you? That sounds interesting.

While I was at the frag swap I got a chance to check out the new aqua illuminations 12" LED 74w fixture. Talk a sweet piece of reef lighting, unfortunately my tank is too wide for a single and I am sure that a pair is not only overkill for my little 58g but $1300 is allot of coin to be dropping on lighting. SO i'm back to square one on figuring out lighting for my tank. My current lumenbright reflector is just really not cutting it for me id doesn't have near enough spread for a 3' tank IMHO.

Tom

super duper light lift link:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51774

Back