Flame Angel?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

Is it worth the risk in a reef tank? Love the color but not sure if it's the right move. Anyone have any input?

i do have two of them one from Figi and the one from Hawaii in my softy tank ,,no problem at all and also i used to have one in my sps tank ,,they are picking on sps,,but i do not think they are picking the coral ,,they are picking on something on the corals ??and it will stressed the sps just little.

Last edited:
I have no sps only lps and softies. I would love to have one of these guys but have always been afraid of getting one because of the nipping thing.
Thanks for the info Dang, it makes the decision a little easier.

what size tank do you have??

I have one from Hawaii (purchased from RSA) in 375g tank with LPS and a clam and (knock on wood), it has not bother anything so far. However, I do keep my fish well fed. I feed at least 3 times a day and one of the feedings is a calupera frozen cube from ocean nutrition. If you plan on keeping dwarf or large angels for that matter, they do need some algae in their diet.

HTH,
Kirk

It is one thing when they give a ocasional nip and another thing when they eat a coral.
All 3 of my centropyge angels will give a coral a nip. It doesn't hurt the coral.

what size tank do you have??

I have one from Hawaii (purchased from RSA) in 375g tank with LPS and a clam and (knock on wood), it has not bother anything so far. However, I do keep my fish well fed. I feed at least 3 times a day and one of the feedings is a calupera frozen cube from ocean nutrition. If you plan on keeping dwarf or large angels for that matter, they do need some algae in their diet.

HTH,
Kirk

I have a 30g finnex with the rear wall and chambers removed.

I have one in my aquapod with mostly shrooms, zoas and gsp. sort of a test if you will. I also am nervous about the clams and sps in my bigger tank. so far he has been a model citizen though

IMO, 30g is the bare minimum I would place a flame or any centropyge in. As long as there is plenty of live rock for them to hide and graze, it should be OK.

good luck
kirk

Back