Flat worm eating fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquaman3680

MidWest Frags
Hey all, I have a bunch of flatworms. I have all ready purchased a six line wrasse but he cant eat them all. I have a 90 gallon tank and was looking to purchase another flat worm eating fish. Do you have any suggestions on some fish that will eat a large amount of them?

Thanks,

Matt

I suspect these are the red planarian type flatworms? The only other fish I would suggest, really shouldn't be in a 90 gallon tank with a sixline wrasse. Some folks suggest mandarins, which I wouldn't put in a 90 gallon with an existing food competitor (the sixline), others may suggest the coris wrasse, but I believe they can eat other desirables in the tank, as well (stomatellas, and smaller snails). You can siphon out as many of the flatworms as possible, which will help considerably, as will increasing water changes and limiting nutrient inputs.

This thread discusses flatworms somewhat: Let's Talk About ~Pests~

Here is some other information: Red Planaria

some information by Anthony Calfo HERE

I have sucked and sucked and sucked them out and they always come back. I sucked for a week every day and the sixline couldnt keep up with them. I can remove the sixline very easily as he eats food out of a net. They are the red kinds, and i will check out those links. With the removal of the sixline what are my options? Also it needs to be shrimp safe, I have a large blood shrimp and 5 large peppermint shrimp in there as well!

Thanks,

Matt

Have you considered using flatworm exit?

Some people recommend mandarins, however, you'd definately need to get rid of the sixline (don't want the mandarin competeing for a food source). Even then, there is no guarantee the mandarin will take care of your flatworm problem. Also, the mandarin needs to be a healthy specimen, and hopefully taking prepared foods (I'll link to some articles below). A Leopard Wrasse is another fish often times recommended for flatworms, but you really need to make sure you get a specimen that is healthy and eating prepared foods....and have a sandy substrate for the wrasse to sleep in. The Yellow Coris Wrasse I mentioned in my previous post needs a sandy bottom, too (the yellow coris isn't part of the coris genus, but that's the common name I'm familiar with....they are part of the Halichoeres genus). I know someone that had a pair of yellow wrasses to help eliminate zoanthid eating nudi problem, and the wrasses had to leave the tank because they were decimating the stomatella population, as well as some of the small snails in the tank. Just keep that in mind. Here is some reading for you on various fish. It might come down to choosing a fish AND manual removal if your population is severe enough.

Which Wrasse is Best?

The Leopards of the Reef

Leopard wrasses (Macropharyngodon spp.)

Scroll down to the "Yellow Wrasse and Flatworms" post: Halichoeres FAQs

The Mandarin Fish: by Charles Delbeek

Mandarins, Part One by Terry Bartelme

Mandarins, Part Two by Terry Bartelme

Mandarins, Part Three by Terry Bartelme

Mandarins, Part Four by Terry Bartelme

Feeding a Mandarin or Synchiropus splendidus, Part One by Terry Bartelme

Feeding a Mandarin or Synchiropus splendidus, Part Two by Terry Bartelme

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! That was such a big help! I think i am going to go with a leopard wrasse and remove the six line! I have a 5" sandbed so that isnt an issue. My parents actually had the same problem and used flatworm exit and it worked very well but also it killed several of their most prized fish.

Matt

My parents actually had the same problem and used flatworm exit and it worked very well but also it killed several of their most prized fish.

Was it the FW exit or the toxins released by the FWs when they died? I know quite a few reefers that wont use the FW exit because the after effects of the die off isnt worth the risk from the toxins released from them.

Back