Flat worm?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

firefishred

I have a BAD case of flat worm. I have tried flat worm treatments? Which have been a fast fix. But not long term. Is there anything that will eat them? What is the cause of them? I try not to over feed.

Last edited:
I have flatworms, but they are the algae eating variety and stick to mostly to my rocks. Some of them hang out on my plugs and keep them pretty clean so I just let them be.

Hi firefish, do you have pics of the flatworms? Treatment and cause will be different for different types of flatworms.

Salifert Flatworm exit works great. Use extra strong strength and leave it in to get full medication value. Only do water change or carbon within a week, if fish and or corals are getting distressed.

I have had success with the Salifert FE as well. Try increasing your flow too. I would try this before buying a sixline. Sixlines can be boisterous depending on tank size, etc. Good luck.

I personally would not use any flat worm treatments. Planaria are not really harmful, and getting rid of them is pretty easy. I have gotten rid of them by a combination of simply siphoning them whenever they get too 'evasive' and by keeping the detritus low.

I personally would not use any flat worm treatments. Planaria are not really harmful, and getting rid of them is pretty easy. I have gotten rid of them by a combination of simply siphoning them whenever they get too 'evasive' and by keeping the detritus low.

Yup... siphoning the little buggers is about the easiest thing to do. Use small diameter tubing so you don't lose a lot of water during the process and go at 'em! I've seen others use bigger tubing and just siphon with a filter sock on the end, into a bucket. Flatworms stay in the sock and you can return your water to the tank.

The problem with chemical means is that when flatworms die, they'll give off a toxin. As long as you do water changes as they're dieing, you're OK - but then that dilutes the strength of the chemicals. Basic catch-22. If you do resort to Flatworm Exit, then at least minimize how many will die in your tank by siphoning as many as you can to start with.

I have tried siphoning them. but i hated the loss of water:(
I think the sock idea is a great idea.:)
thanks Kurt

Back