Flatworm Exit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I have quite in infestation of flatworms in my tank and I was wondering if anyone has used Salifert Flatworm Exit. I had a yellow coris wrasse and he seemed to keep them at tolerable levels, but now the fish has disappeared to who knows where, and they are increasing. I keep removing some corals and rocks, and dipping them seperately and suctioning some out with a turkey baster, but a few minutes later they crawl back onto the corals and irritate the corals. I have never used this Flatworm Exit in the tank, but I am afraid I will have too. Has anyone had experience with it in their tank? I have read the directions carefully and I think I have everything ready, carbon, 25% change water ready to go.

You will want to step up your siphoning and get as many as possible out before you treat because they are very toxic when they die. Other than that, sounds like your ready.

I haven't read the box or used it before either. I was wondering though, can it be used with clams, anemones and shrimp in the tank? what about tube anemones.

I have used it many times and supervised it's use many more. It works best at double strength and unless signs of fish distress, to leave it in and NOT do a water change for as long as possible. I have left it in for 24 hours before in one tank where they just kept coming back after treatments. Turn of the skimmer as it will just go nuts and do nothing. The inverts are safe. Have a fine net handy to scoop out the millions of floaters as they die. Keep maximum water flow in the tank, use a power head to blow all the rocks and sand bed surface to keep the dead ones churned up ready to be netted out. If you do a water change quickly, the ones in the sand bed etc, will survive to reproduce and as The Joker said: "That which doesn't kill you, makes you . . . stranger"

After they are all cleared up, time to focus on water maintenance as they are detritus feeders and overpopulate when over fed.

No testing, but bet it would kill most flatworms including nudis of all types. Might have to test it on Monti eating Nudis (MEN)

Last edited:
I will spend the next few days trying to siphon out as many as I can. Then I will try the treatment. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Great advice from Herefishyfishy. I have only used it once many years ago.

Great advice from Herefishyfishy. I have only used it once many years ago.

Yeah, that sounds much more effective than what the package said to do. I will keep the flow up, be ready for a water change and double the dose. I had to order some more to make sure i have enough. I have some extra powerheads so I can increase flow and I will stand and be vigilant with net in hand. I will also continue to siphon until I have everything in place. Thanks everyone for your advice, I value your knowledge.

I've also used it several times, with great results. I also used double the recommended dosage. However at double the dose the worms started floating within minutes! I used a fine mesh net for about 15 minutes and then did a 25% water change. No more worms! :)

Last edited:
I've also used it several times, with great results. I also used double the recommended dosage. However at double the dose the worms started floating within minutes! I used a fine mesh net for about 15 minutes and then did a 25% water change. No more worms! :)

Thanks Nana. The biggest thing that wiil bother me is it kills brittlestars also. The flatworms gotta die however!

Oh crap. It kills brittle stars? Well when you are ready to restock your tank with them, come up and get some. I can get you a couple dozen in a few minutes.
Brittle stars that is!

What about snails? nassarius snails and stomatella snails? I cant imagine that something that would kill flat worms wouldn't kill or harm snails and other inverts.

Oh crap. It kills brittle stars? Well when you are ready to restock your tank with them, come up and get some. I can get you a couple dozen in a few minutes.
Brittle stars that is!

Okay, thanks Lorrie, I will definitely take you up on that. I love my brittle stars but hate flatworms.

What about snails? nassarius snails and stomatella snails? I cant imagine that something that would kill flat worms wouldn't kill or harm snails and other inverts.

I hope not, it says it's reef safe. Every time that I have treated something with Flatworm Exit, I did it in a bowl, and added the Exit, if there was a brittlestar in there, he was a goner.

I also had to order some flat worm exit for my BC29. I'll be following along with great interest. I can't wait to rid myself of these fast reproducing creatures. My order will not be here till next week and I'll be doing the treatment on the weekend when i can follow the instructions to a "T" Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I hope they survive, I am going to to the treatment as soon as I get the stuff here. Until then I will siphon as many as I can.

I also had to order some flat worm exit for my BC29. I'll be following along with great interest. I can't wait to rid myself of these fast reproducing creatures. My order will not be here till next week and I'll be doing the treatment on the weekend when i can follow the instructions to a "T" Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I will let you know, I am going to follow the treatment Mike (herefishyfishy) suggested and double the strength.

Upon close inspection after treatment and days of watching my tank here's what I've noticed.
At double strength it has a big effect on Bristle Worms. Not 100% lethal but the larger ones will curl up into a ball and become very lethargic. My tiny Nass snails seem unaffected as do the rest of my snails. It's easy for me to observe as my tanks a wee lil 26g :) Hope this helps.

@iPisces...We can't even get those lil brittle stars around me :( Wish you were within driving distance :)

Back