fluidized bed filtration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

morgan

commercial coral diver
G'day all
so the question is im running my 4 foot system on a canister filter but have read about fluidized bed filtration and this also gave me guied lines on how to build one and what type of sand to use and advantages of running one with know disatvatages anywhere but it did not say if u cant use this as ur only filtration method (besidses a protien skimmer) so can i run this instead on the canister filter and if so how big would it have to be and how long would it take to mature
any help would be appreciated

Morgan, I've never tried the fluidized bed filter system at all (I thought they were for freshwater setups mostly?). Most people are just relying these days on a protein skimmer, LR and good husbandry and in some cases, a refugium with an algae like chaeto or caulerpa etc in it. Hopefully someone with experience with a fludized bed filter could give you a little more info. Best of luck!

can i setup a refugium with my current setup running the canister filter in to a smaller tank and then back in to the main tank?

Fluidized bed setups can be disastrous in power outages....and while most systems do suffer from power outages, the worst in my opinion is this system because the bacteria in the bed will be dead and when power restarts, you will have none of it......which well...in short words... = dead animals.

I would maybe make sure you have a power backup if just running on this alone...or some sort of generator?

This method is definitely efficient for hatcheries, and small-scale research facilities as well, whereby when power outages occur, generator kicks in and results in normal functioning of the fluidized bed until main power is back.

Best,
Ilham

Back