food culture system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ladiebuggy

I am getting the system ready for hatching some baby clow fish out and raising them. In a book I borrowed, I found a 9 pop bottle and 1 5-10 gallon aquarium system for microalgae, rotifers, and brine shrimp. When asking advice in a different forum, I was informed that Elmo 18 might have some insight. I am interested in different set ups, so please post any you may have used with the positives and negitives to that system. Thanks in advance for the information.
Susie

Hi there Susie.

Do you have any specific questions about the things you mentioned? Is the book you have called "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson?

In general, following her book will work :) , and the setups she mentions there definitely works. Somethings to think about are space issues. You can, indeed, raise food in as small as yogurt containers, or as big as 100 gallon show tanks, or garbage bins.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish for this. What species of clownfishes ?

Best,
Ilham

Hi Susie and Ilham,
I'm still waiting to hear back from Newport about getting starters of phyto and rotifers. I really wanted to get cultures going before Randy Reed is in Portland for our PNWMAS BBQ on August 27th. I hope to see both of you there!

PSAS members are invited to attend free! Just bring your membership card.
Non-members $5.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1032

ladiebuggy said:
I am getting the system ready for hatching some baby clow fish out and raising them. In a book I borrowed, I found a 9 pop bottle and 1 5-10 gallon aquarium system for microalgae, rotifers, and brine shrimp. When asking advice in a different forum, I was informed that Elmo 18 might have some insight. I am interested in different set ups, so please post any you may have used with the positives and negitives to that system. Thanks in advance for the information.
Susie
Susie,
I have a personal copy of the Plankton Culture Manual published by Florida Aqua Farms that I can loan you at the BBQ. :) You can return it to me at our December Meeting.

Hey Pickled Fish,

I am curious about the cultures that you have for pyto and rotifers. I can only find cultures through LFS and they are a little costly. What do you have and how much do you sell them for.

Tammy

Back