Food For Baby Brine Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

I thought I would try something new and hatch a batch of brine shrimp. Today I pulled them out of the hatching container and setup a 10g tank with a heater, airstone, and a small light in the garage. I can see them all swimming around but I'm not sure what to feed them. I would like to have them full grown before I add them in my tank for the fish to eat. I know they are filter feeders so the food has to be suspended in the water column. I added a few drops of phyto in the tank but I'm sure there something better to add, Any suggestions?

MY BABYS!!!!!

There are so many of them from just 1 batch

2012-06-24_16-26-06_608.jpg

First off, they are filter feeders but NOT like you imagine. They don't take water through their body and remove the food in the process like a clam would do. Instead, the capture the food with their appendages and pass the food to their mouth for digestion.
When they first hatch out, they cannot feed as they don't have complete digestive systems until instar II stage.
There are many foods that they can eat, yeast, brown rice flour, egg yolk,(all micronized in a blender for at least 2 minutes) and live phyto and much more. To be practical, I start them off with live nannochloropsis and then switch them to spirulina flake/powder that gets blended in water for 2 minutes and stored in a pop bottle in the refrigerator, adding just a little multiple times a day is best. (Actually, because I grow in large containers I have built DIY pop bottle dosers to add the spirulina water over a 12 hour period)
Before I forget, DON'T USE AIRSTONES, use open ended air lines. Small bubbles can get trapped in the brine and suffocate them.
Aquariums aren't the best containers to keep them in as it's hard to keep the food in suspension. Ideally one would use a deep cone but for me the cost is too high for the volumes I produce.
Small quantities can be handled quite easy with pop bottle hatchers and then transfer them to larger containers for grow out. For me, the next size up was 4 L wide mouth jars that I sat on an angle so the air line had a better chance of keeping the food in circulation. Not the best but better than just a tank. Now I use 26g rubbermaid containers, still, placing them on an angle to have a low point for the air line to sit.
Brine cysts are known for harbouring nasty bacterial like vibriosis so it's best to sterilize them or decap them before hatching. Rinse them well at EVERY stage you remove them from culture water.
Depending on the density of your culture, you may have little work or a lot of work. Culturing in any MEANINGFULL density IMO is labour intensive and takes a number of times to get a protocol down that will work for you.
The best cysts to use are those stored in a refrigerator. Ones kept on a shelf many times provide low yields and even sometimes, no yield at all.
You might be better off buying live brine from livebrineshrimp.com.
My write up for brine can be seen at Raising Brine Shrimp It might possibly give you an idea on how to tailor it to a viable method for yourself on a scale you want to attempt.

WOW, thank you for the info and the time to write that out for me. I am using a long airsone that produces larger bubbles bot micro-bubbles for the grow out tank though, Ill remove that now and use the airline like you suggest. I did add some yeast to the water for them to feed on and I also have some brown rice that I can grind up for them. I would rather keep trying to raise them than buy them live since this is the challenge I was looking to take on. Anyone can go buy them but I want to raise them. Again wow on the write up you have. Ill will look it over and adapt my method to work for me. =]

Make sure you put the rice flower or whatever powder you are going to use, in the blender with some water and blend it for two minutes minimum. This micronizes particle size so it can be uptaken.
The rice bran flower and many other powders are basically very heavy and even after blending, particle size is too large for bbs so let the blended mixture sit for half an hour or more and siphon off the water with the lighter smaller food particles to use for the bbs.
You will have to watch the tank and do a clean up of the bottom as the settled food coats the bottom. Nasty air borne bacteria thrive on settled food deposits.
You may have to put 5 or 6 air lines into the 10g tank.

Back