Food Mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
Was just wondering if this food mix that i have been making is suitable for all time feeding. pretty sure it is because i got the recipe from a trusted source.

livestock: lawnmower, percula, 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaners, misc. crabs sand snails, pearly jawfish

3 frozen shrimp, 1 tablespoon garlic, 20 frozen formula one cubes, 1/4 can of plankton, 1/4 pack of red marine algae. Is there anything else i should be putting in the mix? eh eh?

Last edited:
No need for that much garlic, a little goes along way. Too much can easily confuse the senses of the fish and it can pollute the tank. Besides that, it's benefits are not what most think. A decent antioxidant to be sure but that's about it. One clove or a teaspoon would be more than plenty. Nix the Formula frozen completely, it's a little self defeating. You'd be paying a premium for something your trying to make youself. If your lazy like me then buy the frozen formula foods. If industrious like you seem to be, make it from scratch. :cool:

Who makes the plankton?

Above all else, the goal is "whole foods". By that I mean the head, the gut, the whole animal. The meat of the animal is not the only necessary part but what that animal has in it's gut at the time (what it ate) along with the fatty tissues in the organs and such. The great thing about mush foods is they don't just feed your fish but to a lesser degree also feed your tank. Also avoid processed herbivore substitutes. Use natural alga's where possible.

Read through Lee's sticky at the top of this forum on foods and nutrition. It's a great read and will give you some better idea's about what your feeding along with who needs what and why.

san fransisco bay makes the plankton, and by whole foods do you mean i should go to the market and buy a full blown salmon and blend her up? :D specify if you could please, also, is there any way you could post a well rounded fish food recipe? thanks steve

Last edited:
I don't recommend you feed your fish salmon, so no, don't buy one unless you are personally looking to consume a Sockeye smoothie :p

What I mean in terms of whole foods is just that. Don't just feed the meat, feed the head and gut as well. Obviously keeping food sizes relative to the fish your feeding. I'm sure if you wanted a steak you wouldn't go out and buy the entire steer. :cool:

As far as what to use, there is no "well rounded" recipe. Each one should be tailored to the dietary requirement of predominant type of fish kept. Each specialty fish can be augmented on an "as needed" basis. Feeding "generic" food types is actually what leads to poor nutrition in the first place.

Have you read either of these articles (actually one split in two posts) as I suggested?

Feeding Marine Fish and Fish Nutrition

Feeding Marine Fish and Fish Nutrition Part 2

Back