formalin dip

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ecobalance

lifetaper
recently i had a flagfin angle that suddenly came down withy what looked like velvet,due to my helping a frend ouit by takeing his unwanted fish.when i first noticed it i took the angel outt and made a 1 gallon mixture of tank water and 10 drops of formalin and to drops of [i think its called malchite blue]and put him in it.with in about 2 minuutes he started trying to jump out so i put him back in the tank.The next day when i went to feed him he looked like he could not see the food and was showing sighns of a blind fish.What did i doo

If the diagnosis was correct, the fish has Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) then the treatment was incorrect.

The use of Formalin for any kind of treatment has to be performed under very controlled circumstances. Old Formalin can kill. The shelf life of Formalin is not good. It chemically changes with time.

Next, Formalin must be used only when the pH of the saltwater is in a specific pH range. Again, Formalin changes at different pH.

Next, during a Formalin treatment, the fish must be provided with air. The water must be properly aerated.

Next, the concentration of Formalin must be strictly controlled. Too much and it can kill, too little and it does little good as a dip.

Next, there are two chemicals: Malachite Green, and Methylene Blue. I know that Methylene Blue should not be used with Formalin. Malachite Green may be used in conjunction with a very dilute Formalin treatment.

Take your pick of the above, in addition to some unknown thing we don't know about. :confused:

Nasty stuff if you ask me, only time I treated it kicked the fish for me, even doing all the above. Use caution.

Back