FOTBC 54 Corner

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FishOnTheBrainC

Well after the boss complaining about the overflow box losing prime on my 28. I finally talked her into getting a tank w/ built in overflow. Once she agreed that it was a good idea she was wondering if it would be ok to get a bigger tank......DONE!

So on the tank I wanted to take care of all the other issues I have had with the old tank being cobbed together since I had no clue from the start and just kept adding things like the refugium, overflow, ATO, RKL, etc.

So I have always liked the look of corner tanks, even after reading that they can be a PITA to scape. I ended up getting a 54 corner drilled for overflow/return. I ended up getting black trim tank w/ oak stained pine stand cause I hate the difference of the 'oak" looking of the stain and the paint on the trim of tank.. Anyways enough BS now for specs and PICS!

SPECS

Main Display

54 AGA black trim drilled from factory
Aquatraders 250MH w/ Phoenix bulb & 2 65watt w/ true 03 antinics from Hellolights
Durso style overflow DIY
1-K4 Korilia
2-K1 Korilia
40lbs Sand

Refugium

15 tall AGA
Ecoplus 633 GPH return
SeaClone protein skimmer
100 Watt heater

The old tank has been up and running for about 3 years now so I have collected a good bit of corals to transfer over.

The Old tank that everything is being transfered from...

IMG_0195.jpg

Now the new tank up in corner of room..

IMG_0485.jpg

Now the sump all baffled up..

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

After spending a long time waiting on the RO/DI to fill 5g buckets at a time I got the tank filled/ salinity matched perfectly. I then waited a week for the temp to match the old tank.. mainly waited so long cause I went to Vegas to visit some family over the new year. I swapped everything over. I added about 3 cups of old sand to seed the new.

Swapping things over I came across something really cool. while pulling out a piece of rock i found the mother load of cluster dusters..

2011-01-03_18-59-56_635.jpg

and of course I couldn't move all that rock without running into a bristle worm.. I thought it would hurt from everything I have read, however I hardly felt a thing..

2011-01-03_20-25-22_864.jpg

then I waited a couple days to take pics cause it was to cloudy to see. :D
BTW I got a new camera for my birthday while in Vegas.. all the pics from here on are with new camera. :D B)

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

I may move around some rock thats why all the corals are just spread over the sand bed. Once Im set on location of rock figured out I am going to move a bunch of them up.

I throw up some more pics in a second.

Enjoy!

Wow that looks great! I hope you cleaned your finger with alcohol and such. Don't want that to get infected.

Looks great!! Nice photos as well!! New camera seems to be working well. :p. Quick question...Ever had an issues using the Seaclone skimmer or ever thought of upgrading? I know Seaclones are one of the not so popular/recommended skimmers out there so was curious as to your thoughts on it. In any event, the new tank looks great!! :)

Looks great!! Nice photos as well!! New camera seems to be working well. :p. Quick question...Ever had an issues using the Seaclone skimmer or ever thought of upgrading? I know Seaclones are one of the not so popular/recommended skimmers out there so was curious as to your thoughts on it. In any event, the new tank looks great!! :)

Yeah they are not one of the most popular..I bout it not researching it it at all was there, had seen it a bought it. Its not bad, but I don't know what good is. I was able to get a full cup of some thick gunk in about a week. since it has been in here it has been really wet to nothing at all. but the tank has only been up about 3 weeks now. We shall see. I have thought about upgrading...A lot! We will see what happens. Thanks for the kind words.

Back