frag tank design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

H

holdendaniel

i picked up a 24"x24" x 12"deep from roscoe.......it has been drilled on ONE side panel.(2"bulkhead halfway up tank, 3/4"bulkhead 3/4 up the tank(on opposite side of the same panel) i wanna plumb it into my current 55gal sump but worried with the drain and return holes are located when power is shut off it will drain out half the tank? contemplating making those holes a closed loop system then running hob overflow/return.....any suggestions will help

Do you have a picture of it so we can actually see the placement of the holes etc?? You might be able to use them to tie it in to your existing system. As for your other idea that isn't a bad option etiher (ie hang on prefilter and use existing hole for a closed loop) :)

Is there an overflow around that top left hole? If not, to use it you will probably have to have one made. Might be more work than it's worth. If it is just a frag tank and nothing more, then I'd probably just use the existing holes for a closed loop and add a hang on prefilter and call it a day.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure the othes will chime in soon. :)

flow for frag tank

thanks for all the great response......i have decided to use the predrilled holes for a closed loop.....thinking of running a ehiem 1260 595gph for the closed loop with about 2' of head......then a mag3 or equilvalent of 300-500gph for my filter flow.......i think if i did my math right that will be about 45-50x flow rate in tank(with no powerheads i will be running small loc-line in differnt angles on the closed loop) too much flow which pump would you decrease or use in place of ones i stated.

If the tank is 24x24x12 then it is about a 30 gal (24x24x12/231 = 29.9 gal). If you get 300 gph for arguments sake out of the mag 3 and 595 gph from the eheim, then your turnover rate would be about 29x (595+300/30 = 29.83 gal). I wouldn't worry so much about the amount of turnover you will have, but rather if the flow is positioned properly enough for all of the frags to benefit from it. It is quite possible you might have to add in a powerhead, but you wouldn't now that until the tank is up and running. :)

thanks for all the great response......i have decided to use the predrilled holes for a closed loop.....thinking of running a ehiem 1260 595gph for the closed loop with about 2' of head......then a mag3 or equilvalent of 300-500gph for my filter flow.......i think if i did my math right that will be about 45-50x flow rate in tank(with no powerheads i will be running small loc-line in differnt angles on the closed loop) too much flow which pump would you decrease or use in place of ones i stated.

Are you sure the flow is 595gph at 2' head? The more line the water travels through, as well as the angle and height, the less flow you will get.

If you use the 2" hole as the drain, you can fit a 90* PVC elbow to set the water surface level. Pump goes in the sump and all should be well.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2847&p=36710&viewfull=1#post36710

HAve a 90 going into the bulkhead yes but do i put a threaded strainer on it?.....i want it to be quite....im afraid that with doing someithing like that it will beable to get clogged(strainer) then tank will overflow...have not used a overflow box....but geussing it might be a little more fail-safe......i would have to put a 90 on the return and get it on the top of the water level for pump shut off reasons....i only have a extra 5-8 gallons of play in my sump for a backflow.

I was thinking running the 90* "flat" with the surface with maybe an additional 1/2 inch of material to set the water level. The link also shows a external stockman overflow to set the drain level and make the system quiet.

What is the difference in water volume on your display? My 120 reef will do 10 gal or so where my 180 planted does about 2 gal.

Pictures?

HAve a 90 going into the bulkhead yes but do i put a threaded strainer on it?.....i want it to be quite....im afraid that with doing someithing like that it will beable to get clogged(strainer) then tank will overflow...have not used a overflow box....but geussing it might be a little more fail-safe......i would have to put a 90 on the return and get it on the top of the water level for pump shut off reasons....i only have a extra 5-8 gallons of play in my sump for a backflow.

For the durso on the back (the 1 1/2 bulkhead) should I reduce before the dorso or after(big dorso or small one)

For the durso on the back (the 1 1/2 bulkhead) should I reduce before the dorso or after(big dorso or small one)

I like 1" plumbing because it is cheaper than 1.5" and I can do tricks like spa flex. However the 1.5" elbow is a lot taller and big enough you can place a coarse sponge if needed.

I need to spend a minute in my PVC pile to prototype.

Ok sweet deal....almost have it all plumbed just need to find a pump for the return. Drilled holes in stand last night...and painted tank back and bottom(did 2 orders 1 from marine depot 1 from brs) by Saturday I hope to have frag tank all plumbed in..

Ok sweet deal....almost have it all plumbed just need to find a pump for the return. Drilled holes in stand last night...and painted tank back and bottom(did 2 orders 1 from marine depot 1 from brs) by Saturday I hope to have frag tank all plumbed in..

Please post pics!

The petco 40B is still on sale for $40 and would make a great frag tank...

What pump are you considering?

Please post pics!

The petco 40B is still on sale for $40 and would make a great frag tank...

What pump are you considering?

The Petco sale for this month is going on from October 3th through October 23rd. The sale only includes the 10G, 20G Long, and 40G Breeder. I picked up my 40B last month during the sale. Love the footprint of the 40B.

Cheers,
Alex

p.s. From what I've heard, Petco is going to be running the $1.00 a Gallon sale through the end of the year. Septembers sale was from September 5rd through Sept. 15th. So it looks to be a 2 week sale ever month.

Last edited:
I got the 24"x24" by 12"deep for optimal light penetration

Back