Fragging a frogspawn

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snoozer

I have a frogspawn that has grown too big for my 14g biocube. I would like to frag it and keep a small piece and trade/sell the rest, but I don't know if mine is fraggable (is that a word?) because there isn't any dead skeleton. The skeleton is covered in live tissue all the way down to the base branch. Can I cut thru the base of the branches in the live part without hurting it? Or is that a really bad idea? I have fragged other frogspawns and hammers before but it has always been thru the dead parts of the branches.

I am going to try to include a picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about. Hopefully this will show up ok.

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

It doesn't look that big in these pictures, but when it is fully open it is about the size of a large grapefruite. It takes up about a third of my tank, so hopefully I can cut this down into smaller pieces without hurting it. If that isn't possible then I'll have to get rid of it, which is a problem because it is my favorite.

I'm not sure if my pictures are showing up, so I am trying to post them again. Sorry if this isn't working.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    37 KB
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    59.8 KB
i don't have any advice, but i can see the pictures (as links) just thought i'd let you know so you weren't 'worried' about that part. :)

Its easy. Just break it apart at each "Y" as far from the polyp as possible. I've tried fragging them close to the polyp and sometimes the skeleton will break in half. I have always been able to save them with superglue but have been lucky.

No, the skeletons are all dead about a inch below the bottom of the flesh of each polyp.

Thanks for the tips everybody. And I love the before, during and after pics. That us very helpful. I give it a try this weekend.

Just I guess bumping the dremel suggestion. I used the cutter disk and carved several frags off of mine. Superglued the skeletons to the rock and voila.

Not my thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the pics of the process. I'm visual, so the step by step guides aren't often that helpful to me. Its always helpful to actually SEE things and you showed the process really well.

I use a dremel with a diamond bit. It cuts through like butter...or is it like Parkay?
A visual helps me. Here are some fragging pics of one I fragged.

I will have to try this method next time. The problem is not wanting to pull them out of the tank...

Back