fragging anenomes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

morgan

commercial coral diver
hows it going all i want sum feed back on this topic namely has it ever been done i have more to say on the topic wants i get sum replys before i finsih what i have to say

well no 1 seemed to care about this but i fragged a bubble tip anenome by accident with a screw driver, ripped the foot and caused it to split its self in to two forced asexual repoduction has anyone ever done this before both pieces are looking "healthy"

Morgan, that's a typical fragging method these days.

(1) Remove the BTA from the rock
(2) Cut it in half from the mouth outwards
(3) Wash it in tank water, and put it back into the tank for recovery
(4) It should start eating in 1-2 weeks

i had a long tenticle that was about 15" across and the foot was on 2 really big rocks, and i didnt care for the anenome anyways, so i just picked up one and it split! i know that isnt the proper way, but i do have two now and it only took about a day for its foot to recover.

*moving to Anthony's forum for his advise on this thread*

well no 1 seemed to care about this but i fragged a bubble tip anenome by accident with a screw driver, ripped the foot and caused it to split its self in to two forced asexual repoduction has anyone ever done this before both pieces are looking "healthy"

You should use a scalpel or another type of sharp bladed instrument to cut through an anemone next time. I'm not sure what you mean by accidentally fragging with a screw driver. Were you doing something else in the tank? You are putting the anemone at risk of infection by tearing/ripping it compared to a nice clean incision. A clean incision will also promote a better healing process. This might sound really harsh, and I don't meant it to sound this way, but next time please research more on propagating anemones before attempting something like this. Even though the anemone may survive without incident, it is a good idea to do it properly to give it the best chance of survival. I didn't see this thread until now, so it wasn't that I didn't care, but I didn't get the opportunity to post my thoughts on anemone propagation.

Here is a link to more information: Favorite links, info and discussions: CALFO. If you look in the "A" section, you will see a couple of links on anemone propagation.

Hopefully, Anthony can post his thoughts and advice, as well.

Thanks Nikki :)

Yes... you can propagate all anemones in the trade by simple bilateral splits. Be sure the anemone has been held in captivity and fed well for 4 or more months... and always avouid keeping and especially propagating it in (unnatural) tanks with corals. They do not occur together on the reefs and they do not fare well long term in aquaria (excluding the exceedingly tolerant BTAs)

I also think, Morgan, that you need to wait more than a day before getting impatient for replies to your posts ;) We are all a friendly, volunteer community... real jobs, lives, etc outside of themessage board. Do consider.

Back