fragging elegance coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishguy95

hello, I was wondering if some one could please tell me how to frag an elegance coral. I have a fairly large one and I would like to have several and would also like to sell/trade frags of this coral. I don't have much of any idea just what to do. It is currently in an 85 gallon system (55 main with 30 gallon refugium) it is under metal halides and doing very well.

As mentioned above I woudl only do it if you really wanted to, as they are a hard coral to keep most of the time. The best method for doing this is to do it in to procedures, so first get your self a good scaple and cut the flesh where you wan to frag it (best at the point the flesh narrows before the next polyp. Once that is done get a you can use a number of different tools to cut the skeliton, my perfered is the scroll saw, but you can also use a grinder (with a diamond blade) or a good dremel also with a diamond blade.

Mike

Ok. Thanks for all the help, I was just curious how to do it. I got the coral from a guy on craigs list who had it in his 120 gallon for over 2 years so once it gets past the 6 month period of getting settled into my tank I think I will try it. Mine does have multiple heads so if something went wrong at least I would not lose the whole coral.

It's still possible for you to lose the entire coral. Elegance seems to easily get Brown Jelly Infection, especially after a frag attempt. Brown Jelly Infection is almost impossible to stop and usually wipes out the entire colony, and sometimes other colonies in the same tank. If you do attempt to frag it, I think I'd use a wet tile saw, as most successful attempts I've read about, use this method. I think I'd also immediately dip the frags in a CoralRx solution, prior to putting them back in the tank, making sure they were getting low light but good flow.

Well.... I guess I will decide about it when the time comes, but I would realy like to frag it at some point. I will practice on other lps until then.

Back